New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Product team analyzes and creates the platforms that connect New York Media’s content with our audience. We’re adept problem-solvers and visionaries who can transform creative ideas into successful products.
Great design and user experience are essential to our ability to connect with our readers, and the product design team plays an important role in what New York Media creates, ensuring that our products are engaging, useful, and beautiful.
As a Product Designer, you'll play an important part of the design process at New York Media, crafting designs that support readers, business, and the editorial voice of New York. The role turns design strategy & insights into elegantly designed products & experiences, and inspires the organization by showing/prototyping what is possible before it is built.
- Collaborate on projects spanning a broad range including site-wide responsive template designs, home page redesigns, special editorial features, rebranding of existing verticals, social media templates.
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translating research insights into ideas that form disruptive new products and features, then sketching and prototyping these ideas to quickly assess viability, and design detailed interaction behaviors.
- Create and iterate on design projects across the entire product life cycle and multiple product launches.
- Evaluate the success of existing products and features, and develop designs to support business objectives.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
- 4-7 years of visual/product design experience, preferably in digital media. Editorial experience, or editorial print experience is a plus.
- Degree in Visual Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Motion, Fine Art, Architecture, or related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree).
- Excellent typography knowledge and skills, experience with complex typographical systems and hierarchies
- The ability to create design systems that are scalable.
- You have a user-focused design mentality.
- An enthusiasm and awareness of the design legacy and history of New York Magazine and its digital properties.
- A very strong visual awareness and sensibility, and the ability to translate brand identities from one platform to another
- UX, UI, research, storytelling and design process which showcases projects from beginning to end.
- Knowledge of illustration, photography, art, image making.
- You’re a great communicator. You have the communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, and make experiences come to life.
- You are respectful when challenging assumptions and give and receive feedback with equal grace.
- You’re comfortable working autonomously and overseeing your design from beginning to end, but also equally comfortable in a collaborative environment, and willing to work with other team members when necessary.
- Excellent knowledge of the technologies used to build modern digital experiences.
- Well rounded understanding of information architecture.
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.