New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
Managing multimedia products that millions of people use every day is important work, and the Technology team is dedicated to making sure that everything New York Media creates is efficient and accessible. We enable other teams at New York Media to streamline their work and help our audience engage easily with our products.
We're seeking a Director, Engineering to lead efforts in scalable and innovative application architecture, scalable cloud/container-based applications, application testing, and continuous delivery in order to accelerate the pace of innovation, development velocity while improving application reliability and performance.
- Work with the Chief Technology Officer, Director of Operations and Director of Web Development as well as developers to instill best practices for software development, testing and deployment while improving velocity.
- Application and architecture performance analysis across the full stack of our solutions from systems to code to cloud services.
- Project management: prioritization, planning of projects and features; stakeholder management and tracking of external commitments.
- Be a champion of engineering excellence: establish team metrics for measurement of engineering and operational efficiency. Implement a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement.
- Maintain publishing production applications (K4, ADBASE, ORIS pre-press software).
- Be responsible for mentoring and developing junior and senior engineers.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
- A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Experience in building and running distributed systems for 24x7 online services at scale.
- 10+ years of work experience in software development and 5+ years as a leadership role.
- Track record of data-driven decisions.
- Knowledge of Enterprise Architecture principles: SOA, Microservices, ESB
- Experience in defining and executing professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle.
- Strengths in problem-solving, issue resolution, ability to work in a deadline-driven work environment, attention to detail, and ability to multitask.
- Technologies: Node.js/express, AWS, ElasticSearch, Redis, Terraform, Docker
- Kubernetes, Postgres, MongoDB, Cassandra, Spark, Kafka, nginx, CircleCI, Puppet.
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.