Head of Product Management & Design
New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Product team analyzes and creates the platforms that connect New York Media’s content with our audience. We’re adept problem-solvers and visionaries who can transform creative ideas into successful products.
As the Head of Product Management + Design, you’ll be responsible for the discovery and delivery of new initiatives across New York Media’s digital products and businesses. You will lead our team of product managers and designers in defining the product vision, prioritizing requirements, infusing our distinct design ethos, and executing on meaningful products that help grow audience, engagement, and revenue.
This role requires experience in both product management and design, and an appreciation for how both play into the product life cycle. You use data to help inform decisions and are comfortable with technical concepts. Having a proactive, entrepreneurial mindset, a strong technical background, the ability to get your hands dirty, and a keen eye for identifying emerging trends will be necessary in order to be successful in this role.
While this role will report to the Chief Product Officer, you will need to partner closely with our Chief Creative Officer and other leadership across the organization (from Engineering, Data Science, Editorial, Sales, and Marketing, among others) to ensure alignment around the vision. Therefore, solid collaboration, stakeholder influence, and interpersonal skills are a must.
The ideal candidate has an understanding of digital products and technologies, the ability to effectively communicate findings, and an enthusiasm for helping to lead New York Media through a rapidly-evolving industry dynamic in media.
- Responsible for a business’s product planning and execution all through the life cycle of the business.
- Create product roadmap, prioritization, and communication to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and articulate a clear vision for our products that aligns with the vision and goals of the company and can scale across multiple brands and properties.
- Partner closely with Engineering, Data Science, and other stakeholders to establish a clearly defined product development and design process, with a focus on delivering quality experiences on time.
- Lead the product management team, growing the collective capability of the talent in this space and providing feedback and guidance around all facets of the product development process.
- Lead a team of UX, visual, and graphic designers to create a design system that is usable, valuable, consistent and intuitive user experiences across platforms and devices, while also providing day-to-day guidance to the designers.
- Work with the Chief Creative Officer and the Editorial Design Director to establish the visual direction of the sites on a regular basis.
- Stay current on industry trends, landscape changes, and competitor moves in order to surface new potential partnership opportunities to consider.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 7-10 years of relevant experience in designing, developing, and deploying digital products, preferably in the editorial/media space.
- Experience successfully bringing new products to market, on-time, on-budget, that achieve success in the marketplace.
- Experience prioritizing competing objectives and communicating rationale for complicated decision-making.
- Experience conceiving and iterating product features based on data, analytics, and strategy while keeping the user in mind, while striving for measureable, constant improvement of our user experience.
- A process thinker, who can analyze a complex process and find ways to simplify it.
- Extensive experience in solving complex visual design and UX problems while demonstrating thoughtful, meticulous attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience defining visual design and UX standards and systems that can scale across a network of brands.
- Technically proficient and able to work closely and get buy-in from engineers and assist with technical trade-offs when needed.
- Experience with leading teams, with a proven ability to develop talent.
- Demonstrated track record of successful cross-functional collaboration.
- Detail-oriented, superior organizational skills, a can-do attitude, and the ability to work on multiple initiatives in a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Possess outstanding interpersonal communication skills and the ability to persuade, build alignment, and work in a team.
- Enthusiastic about New York Media and our network of brands.
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.