Design Director, Brand & Marketing
New York, NY
Sales & Marketing
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
New York Media’s products are the perfect platforms to connect our readers with brands they’ll love. The Sales & Marketing team is passionate about working with our clients to help them find and create the best advertising and custom content solutions, and the marketing partnerships we build help enable New York Media’s growth.
New York has an incredible design legacy, reaching back to its original Milton Glaser-designed format. Our editorial products are widely recognized as leaders in visual expression. This role provides an opportunity to be part of building a similar legacy for all the ways we express ourselves, tell our story, and sell ourselves and our partnerships beyond the boundaries of those products. The Design Director, Brand and Marketing leads an internal design studio – a team of digital designers, art directors, and production vendors shaping the visual expression of New York media brands and partners across platforms and contexts.
- Provide overarching design direction and leadership, including but not limited to these four areas: (1) Sales/Marketing and Consumer Marketing collateral – creation of sales deck templates, brand presentations, brand reels, media kit materials, custom print creative, and consumer marketing messaging; (2) Branded Content – native multimedia story design and art direction; (3) Experiential – development of on-site visuals for festivals, events, and programs executed on behalf of advertising partners; and (4) Corporate identity and communication – development of brand campaigns, house ads, and eblasts to promote New York Media.
- Lead, coach, and develop a team of designers, providing feedback and guidance around all facets of the brand and marketing design process.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional stakeholders to deliver on key outcomes.
- Stay current on industry trends, landscape changes, and competitor moves in order to surface new potential partnership opportunities to consider.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or similar, or experience demonstrating mastery of the practice
- 8-10 years of multi-platform design experience
- Excellent leadership and people management skills, including the ability to grow and inspire a cross-functional team, delegate work, and deliver materials on deadline
- 2 years direct experience leading people and/or teams
- Excellent typographic skills and sensibility
- Experience across many facets of design and creative direction: campaign, identity, photographic/video art direction, digital, print, presentation
- Ability to guide a design team on daily/weekly/monthly projects, and also be a creative thinker who can concept and design big picture campaigns
- A true collaborator who's interested in working through strategic and creative issues
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Keynote, PowerPoint and digital design (HTML, Dreamweaver, CSS)
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our staff is purposeful, action-oriented, creative, and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audiences. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is critical to our impact and success.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.