Postdoctoral Fellow, Parkinson's disease
New York, New York /
Research Institute – Research /
The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a growing and successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research.
NYSCF is seeking a new postdoctoral fellow to join the Parkinson’s disease team. This exciting opportunity will explore the role of astrocytes, microglia, and neuroinflammation using isogenic human stem cell models of GBA, LRRK2, and SNCA Parkinson’s disease. This position will report directly to Senior Research Investigator Gist Croft, PhD, Director of the NYSCF Parkinson’s program and work closely with an interdisciplinary team of stem cell biologists. You will be a key part of a newly funded Aligning Science Across Parkinson’s Initiative project and will interact with a multi-institutional collaborative team as well as the larger ASAP Collaborative Research Network. The role will include cutting edge training in differentiation, phenotyping, disease biology, quantitative imaging, and single cell analysis.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated applicant with a strong interest in stem cell research. You will have a strong background in cell culture and neuroscience. Specific experience with induced pluripotent stem cells and differentiation toward neural lineages is highly desired.
What you'll do:
- Perform routine manual cell culture work to support ongoing projects, including maintenance and directed differentiation of pluripotent stem cells
- Develop/improve differentiation protocols
- Establish imaging assays
- Establish phenotypic assays in culture systems
- Maintain accurate and complete records and protocols
- Communicate in written and oral form with a multidisciplinary team
What we're looking for:
- Recent PhD in neurobiology, with expertise in neuroinflammation, microglia, intra-cellular trafficking, Parkinson’s or other neurodegenerative disease
- Strong experience in cell culture and human pluripotent stem cells
- Experience in quantitative imaging or bioinformatics
- Specific expertise and publications are a plus, but drive, passion, integrity, communication, and teamwork are most important
We offer all full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that goes into effect on the first of the month following your start date.
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity in our company. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.