SVP, Global Corporate Communications
New York, NY /
Communications – Communications /
Hello potential future Oatly employee. It’s us, the original oatmilk company that started in Sweden back 25 or so years ago and has since expanded to the U.S. where we’ve continued growing at a rate such that we need more brilliant minds to come to work with us to keep the momentum going and the oatmilk flowing.
Sustainability, health, and transparency are the core values that guide everything we do.
Basically, we exist to make it easy for people to eat better and live healthier lives without recklessly taxing the planet’s resources in the process. If any of this resonates with you, then maybe you’d like to work for Oatly, too. Now onto the formal stuff.
As our first SVP of global corporate communications, you will work closely with our newly-named EVP of Global Communications and Public Affairs to craft programs that show why oat milk is better and how there’s no one better at oat milk than Oatly. Together, you will collaborate with members of our executive team and colleagues in creative, sustainability, finance, investor relations, and legal, across the world to make it happen. You will speak honestly and respectfully, never say “no” without reasons or suggestions and operate without spin or hyperbole.
Qualified candidates must reside in Eastern Standard Time due to business needs.
Here are the things we want to hire you to do:
- Create communications programs that tell stories of Oatly, how we work differently, and what makes us better. Oh, and help launch some amazing new potential products we have in the pipeline
- Prove people wrong: Oatly has gotten some flack in the past year. Let’s tell the world why no one should bet against us
- Foster new and great relationships with media and other folks who should know what we’re up to
- Manage our team of communications professionals across the globe
- Own our media response strategy
- Work very closely with our IR team to make sure the street (and people covering the street) know what we’re up to - and with context
- Work closely with the EVP, Global Communications and Public Affairs to develop programs that show off the amazing people we have at Oatly
- Lead the development and procurement of all_the_tools our greater comms team needs to succeed
Here are the things we think you need:
- 12+ years experience in communications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in practical experience
- A proven track record of building communications programs that drove business results in addition to media results
- Experience with public company communications, executive communications, issues management, and public policy
- Writing skills that would make your boss cry because it’s so good
- You get the warm and fuzzies helping to mentor people working for you
- We really don’t care if you’re in-house right now or at an agency, or at an agency after being in-house or if you have your own gig after being at an agency after being in-house or after being in-house after being at an agency. We just want someone who is amazing and gets who we ARE and what we are DOING
Some important intangibles:
- You’re a corporate communications person, but not “corporate.” Oatly is a unique place, so if you’re looking to manage things instead of making things, we’re not for you
- You’re the calmest person in the room. When things hit the fan (and we know they will), you have to be the voice of reason and, at the appropriate time, the voice of sardonic wit. But in the end, we have to help plan and implement responses to things and that cannot be done from the fetal position under the conference room table
- Failure is learning. We hope you’ve had some spectacular failures in your career. So much so that we want to discuss them at length. Negative feedback and adversity are the best learning experiences out there
- Are you an animal person? This by no means is a requirement, but you will certainly hear a lot about your manager’s dogs and cats so you might have to respond in kind with stories about your own pets
And here’s another list of qualities we think make a good Oatly team member:
- You feel connected to our mission of encouraging health, sustainability, and transparency
- You are a self-starter who doesn’t need direct supervision to motivate you for success – we believe strongly in building a culture of individual accountability and ownership and need partners that can embrace that mentality
- You are ready to make your mark in a smaller, growing brand leveraging your experience to deliver amazing results and build an outstanding company
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit in that you’re comfortable with ambiguity and are energized by the process of building something lasting from the ground up
- You enjoy sharing your quirkiness and talents with your coworkers
Another bulleted list felt redundant, so we wrote this long sentence with all the ways we sweeten the deal to work with us, like providing flexible vacation for starters, really great benefits with 100% medical coverage, genuinely great coworkers who want to see the company and each other succeed, a start-up vibe with an established company history, and an employee discount to stock your fridge full of the best non-dairy alternative in the world.
Oatly is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.