New York, NY /
Creative – Design /
Hello potential future Oatly employee. It’s us, the original oatmilk company that started in Sweden back 25 or so years ago and has since expanded to the U.S. where we’ve continued growing at a rate such that we need more brilliant minds to come to work with us to keep the momentum going and the oatmilk flowing.
Sustainability, health, and transparency are the core values that guide everything we do.
Basically, we exist to make it easy for people to eat better and live healthier lives without recklessly taxing the planet’s resources in the process. If any of this resonates with you, then maybe you’d like to work for Oatly, too. Now onto the formal stuff.
The US Oatly Department of Mind Control (ODMC) is looking for a Mid-Level Graphic Designer. The role will work as a part of the Oatly creative team and report to the Design Director. This designer must have a strong eye for design and is well versed in seeing concepts through to production.
The role is mostly remote, but as the headquarters are in NYC, we largely work on EST time, and are looking for talent on or near the East Coast. This isn’t a travel-heavy job, but you may need to travel to NYC once a quarter for full team meet-ups.
Due to business needs, all qualified candidates must reside in Eastern Standard Time or Central Standard Time.
Here are the things we want to hire you to do:
- Adopt and implement the Oatly design aesthetic and tone of voice
- Make sure what we put out into the world is impeccably designed and crafted
- Work with the Design Director and other senior members of the team to concept, design, and deliver assets for email newsletters, e-comm design, social assets, retail materials, merchandise, internal requests, and campaigns
Here are the things we think you need:
- You’re obsessed with the craft. You are an engine, a doer, constantly pushing the quality of the design, either in your own work or when working with the broader team. You have a strong vision and work doggedly to make it come to life across everything that we do as a brand.
- Bad design really gets under your skin. Design that doesn’t do shit in the world is a waste. You’re impatient to have your work be a part of something bigger.
- You are hungry. You proactively find design opportunities in every nook and cranny, of every size and shape. You are always on the look-out to learn something new, try something new, and apply the design in ways that are new and exciting.
- You can wrangle chaos. You can get your stuff done.
- You are flexible, moving at the pace of creativity and culture.
- You’re a team player. You bring the good energy and know that we need all hands working together to elevate each of us. You mesh and play with all the different disciplines and departments here in North America and can also riff and work with our European colleagues. You’re not afraid to have the conversations needed.
- You’re an adult. You’re not precious, you are resilient and you know this is about getting the right work into the world above all else. You get the urgency. You understand the stakes. You know this isn’t about any one of us but the change that together we must make in the world.
Other things we think you need:
- 4 years post-school design experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in practical experience
- A portfolio showcasing produced creative work across a range of formats
- Experience working across a variety of deliverables in a fast-paced environment
- Expert proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign
- Technical skills and experience required to build mechanicals and deliver final files for print and digital
- Ability to work with Keynote, and Google Suite
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- Orderly file management practices
- Ability to work across multiple projects simultaneously
- Some AfterEffects/ Motion capabilities.
- Digital design experience (designing web pages and working on ecomm).
- A love for illustration and hand lettering.
And here’s another list of qualities we think make a good Oatly team member:
- You feel connected to our mission of encouraging health, sustainability, and transparency
- You are a self-starter who doesn’t need direct supervision to motivate you for success – we believe strongly in building a culture of individual accountability and ownership and need partners that can embrace that mentality
- You are ready to make your mark in a smaller, growing brand leveraging your experience to deliver amazing results and build an outstanding company
- You have entrepreneurial spirit in that you’re comfortable with ambiguity and are energized by the process of building something lasting from the ground up
- You enjoy sharing your quirkiness and talents with your coworkers
Another bulleted list felt redundant, so we wrote this long sentence with all the ways we sweeten the deal to work with us, like providing flexible vacation for starters, really great benefits with 100% medical coverage, genuinely great coworkers who want to see the company and each other succeed, a start-up vibe with an established company history, and a fridge full of the best non-dairy alternative in the world for your enjoyment.
Posting will close June 28th.
Oatly is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.