Senior Software Engineer, Solidity
Who Are We?
Obol is a remote first research and software development team focused on building decentralized software for public proof of stake blockchain networks. Over the past 12 months we have been building a community of strategic supporters across the entire stack to enable more resilient and distributed staking infrastructure on public blockchain networks through the Shared Secret Validator (SSV) effort, initiated by the Ethereum Foundation.
SSV is a powerful infrastructure primitive that can be used in a variety of configurations and implemented on almost any public blockchain network. The primitive has been researched and designed to improve resiliency and security at the validator client and beacon node level of the Ethereum stack, mitigating risks such as crash faults, key theft, and slashing risk. This is achieved by splitting a validator key across multiple independently operating instances and utilizing threshold signatures to perform validation duties (think: a multi-sig validator).
Obol is currently focused on utilizing the SSV primitive as a building block to develop a trust-minimized staking protocol. We believe that this primitive is most useful at the lower layers of the blockchain stack and should be deployed to main net with an architecture that enables it to be built on top of, accelerating vertical innovation in staking products, similar to the way roll-up technologies have evolved over the past few years.
Our mission is to increase the security and resiliency of public blockchain networks by evolving the SSV primitive to become a sustainable public good accessible by developers and validators all over the world.
The Obol protocol will become an open, community governed, self-sustaining project over the coming months and years. Its participants will be responsible for the security and distribution of consensus finding on the world's most used public blockchain networks. Together we will incentivize, buidl, and maintain distributed technology that makes public proof of stake networks a more secure and resilient foundation to build on top of.
Senior Software Engineer, Solidity - Obol Core Team
Senior Solidity Engineers are passionate about decentralization and have a thorough understanding of the EVM. This role is responsible for driving the direction of the Obol Manager smart contract implementation(s) from early architecture and design documents, through to gas golfing and layer 2 scaling; while building up a professional smart contract engineering team in the process. At Obol we are stripping Ethereum clients down to their fundamentals and rebuilding them in a highly-available by default, byzantine tolerant architecture, capable of being run by multiple operators. This project will push the envelope on distributed systems and their coordination via smart contracts beyond what has been seen in the space to date.
- Develop EVM smart contracts for the provisioning of Ethereum validators
- Build an enterprise grade smart contract development lifecycle that grows with the Obol team
- Develop robust smart contract testing infrastructure. (unit, symbolic, mainnet-fork, fuzz, etc)
- Manage professional smart contract deployment and monitoring processes
- Participate in the assembly of the Obol Technical Core Team
- Participate in the technical interview process
What you will like about us
- Developing open source public goods for permissionless networks
- Solving groundbreaking problems in distributed cryptography and cryptoeconomics
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Twice annual Global Off-sites
- Annual opportunity to attend DevCon (or a blockchain conference of choice)
- Opportunity to collaborate with industry leading cryptography researchers and advisors
- Opportunity to collaborate with industry leading validators
- Opportunity to collaborate with Ethereum core client teams