Machine Learning Engineer
Newport Beach, CA
Research & Development
Obsidian delivers cloud detection and response for the enterprise. The company’s leadership team includes innovators from AWS, Carbon Black, Cylance, Demisto, Dome9, NYU, and VMware where they have delivered enterprise-grade products to thousands of customers.
We are based in Newport Beach, CA and are backed by Greylock Partners, Wing, and GV.
Obsidian is seeking expert researchers to tackle a variety of problems that impact the bleeding edge of machine learning and artificial intelligence, with a focus on applications in computer security. We’re developing a team by drawing from the research fields in statistics, computer science, mathematics and related fields to help us achieve these goals.
At Obsidian, our research team is at the core of our business. You will be part of a highly visible, agile, team working on critical problems that directly affect the company’s success. Our researchers regularly appear at various global conferences and are some of the most sought-after thought leaders in the security industry. As part of the research group, you will leverage your problem-solving and analytical skills to further our capabilities, as well as publish and present new and novel research.
What You'll Do:
- Although you will work on cutting-edge problems, this position is not a research position.
- You will participate in the engineering life-cycle at Obsidian, including designing distributed systems, writing production code, conducting code reviews and working alongside our infrastructure and reliability teams.
- You’ll apply data science, machine learning and/or graph analysis techniques to a variety of modeling and relevance problems.
Who You Are:
- You’re a relevance engineer, applied data scientist, or machine-learning engineer who wants to work on exciting algorithmic and deep infrastructure issues.
- You’re experienced solving large-scale relevance problems and comfortable doing incremental quality work while building brand new systems to enable future quality improvements.
- Knowledgeable in one or more of the following: machine-learning, information retrieval, recommendation systems, social network analysis.
- Designed and evaluated approaches for handling high-volume real-time data streams.
- A strong technical advocate with a background in Go, C++, Scala, and/or Python.
- Comfortable conducting design and code reviews.
- Experienced in operating Linux-based systems.
- Knowledgeable of core CS concepts such as common data structures and algorithms, profiling/optimization.
- Passionate about working with large unstructured and structured data sets (i.e. multi-terabyte+++).
- Experienced in collaborating across multiple teams including analytics, product management, and operations.
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
At Obsidian, we value diversity and freethinkers and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to submit satisfactory proof of identity and legal authorization to work in the United States.
Note to all recruitment agencies: Obsidian does not accept applicant resumes from any agency with whom Obsidian does not have a written agreement. Obsidian is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a written agreement with Obsidian.
Please review our CCPA policies here.