Data Visualization Engineer
Newport Beach, CA
Obsidian is a cybersecurity startup headquartered in sunny Newport Beach in Southern California. Led by former founding members of Cylance and Carbon Black, Obsidian’s vision is to revolutionize how organizations use data science and security technology to combat threats across hybrid-cloud environments. Our merry band of contrarians are rethinking cybersecurity and bringing a fresh approach that will shake up the industry. We are seeking a supremely skilled data visualization wizard to join our rapidly growing team.
As a Data Visualization Engineer, you will be part of a highly visible (pun intended), agile UX team that bridges the gap between our users (who need to quickly understand and act on complex data) and our product and data science teams (who want to communicate clear and actionable insights to those users).
To excel in this role, you should live and breathe data and its presentation. You must have a very strong quantitative background and a track record of delivering compelling data visualizations of large and complex datasets. Experience with visualizing large scale graphs (networks, social, etc) is a big plus. You should appreciate the complexity of the environment your end users work in, and know how to identify and present actionable data that matters to your user. Your superb engineering skills allow you to build prototypes quickly so that you can iterate with your users before delivering production-ready code that will render beautiful and highly effective visualizations.
What you’ll do in this role
- Gain a deep understanding of our users and the challenges that they face so that you can make informed decisions in your day-to-day work that always puts the user first.
- Work with the Product and Data Science teams to determine possible visualizations that will most effectively communicate critical insights to your users.
- Build prototypes that can be quickly tested. Based on user testing and feedback, refine and iterate.
- Deliver production-ready code that will make our users ecstatic that you joined us!
Required experience and skills
- 3-5 years experience building effective and beautiful data visualizations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with data visualization methods and frameworks. Complete fluency in D3 or react-vis highly desired.
- Very strong quantitative and analytical skills. Solid background in basic statistics. Data Science and ML exposure a plus.
- Experience developing enterprise-class Software as a Service solutions working in a larger team.
- Experience using React, or similar modern frameworks (Angular, Vue).
- Highly detail oriented and willing to sweat the pixels.
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, or a related field.
If you enjoy the sunshine and beautiful beaches of Southern California, come join our team in Newport Beach. If you really can't deal with that much sunshine, we understand that rock stars are everywhere and are happy to discuss a remote role for you.
At Obsidian, we value diversity and freethinkers and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to submit satisfactory proof of identity and legal authorization to work in the United States.
Note to all recruitment agencies: Obsidian does not accept applicant resumes from any agency with whom Obsidian does not have a written agreement. Obsidian is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a written agreement with Obsidian.