Senior Engineer - Messaging protocols
United States | Remote
Ockam enables developers to build apps that can Trust data-in-motion
We believe in Building Trust when it comes to our product and our team. We’d love for you to join us on our journey!
Ockam’s vision is to build a future where all applications can be interoperable - everywhere.
Ockam provides a collection of messaging and cryptographic protocols that provide end-to-end application layer trust in data. We believe that, in order to have a realistically manageable vulnerability surface, all modern applications need end-to-end guarantees of data integrity and authenticity. The only way to build secure and private applications is to remove unnecessary implicit trust in network boundaries, intermediaries and infrastructure.
Ockam continues to grow, but our values and virtues stay constant as our guiding lights. It is deeply important for us to maintain and enhance a culture in which everyone is respected, valued, and empowered.
About this role:
This role will require solving challenging problems in areas like API design, messaging guarantees, protocol design, fault tolerant services, kubernetes integration/automation, cloud integration/automation, abstraction, loose coupling, pluggable modules and more. You will be part of a team of senior engineers who have deep expertise across distributed systems, messaging protocols, network protocols, cryptographic protocols, cloud systems etc.
The Ockam team is passionate about making powerful cryptographic protocols simple and safe for application developers. In this role you will collaborate with this team to deliver safe, secure, stable, scalable, well-documented, easy to use cloud services, that enable end-to-end encrypted, mutually authenticated, granularly authorized secure communication for distributed applications.
The Elixir code is a bridge between several systems in our codebase. This role will involve designing integrations with many external messaging systems, authorization systems and cloud services.
- 10+ years of work history.
- Elixir or Erlang.
- Messaging systems like RabbitMQ, Kafka etc.
- Consuming and contributing to open source codebases.
- API design.
- Kubernetes and containers.
- Designing and provisioning cloud services in AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Complex Git workflows.
- Modern CI/CD pipelines and DevOps.
- Collaboration on a remote-first, high-performance team.
- Individual and collaborative project management leadership.
Within 1 months, you'll:
- Gain a robust understanding of the needs of the Elixir codebase
- Design, architect, and deliver your first large feature
- Guide your peers that you work with on areas of improvement.
- Establish strong async and sync communication rhythms with your peers and management, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress and areas of focus
- Celebrate the major win of having your work being used and valued by our users
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your team through thoughtful feedback
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Elevate the work of the team and become a subject matter expert on the team
- Continue to contribute to our Ockam Orchestrator
- Fortify relationships with cross functional team members as well as broaden your connections across the organization
- Coach and mentor team members
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Have significant responsibility, and make extensive contributions to a large system that enables customers to establish trusted channels between applications.
- Drive initiatives with high-impact on the business and our customers.
- Extensively collaborate with engineering management the executive team to level up the organization and continually improve our product.
$194,000 - $228,000 a year
Salary range is total comp, which includes base salary and equity. See Ockam's Handbook for more information on our compensation.
This is a Senior Level (L5) role. For more information about Role Levels at Ockam, <click here for our guide>.
Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.
Here are several resources to help you further evaluate Ockam: