Assistant General Counsel
India – Legal - India /
Join the Ocrolus rocket ship!
Together, we can help customers eliminate manual data work and focus on the valuable, cerebral work they enjoy! Ocrolus is a fintech infrastructure company that transforms documents into actionable data with over 99% accuracy. Designed to streamline document-driven workflows and automate high-stakes financial decisions, Ocrolus is trusted by leading fintechs like SoFi, LendingClub, Cross River Bank, BlueVine, Enova, and Plaid, to name a few. Powered by Artificial Intelligence and a unique human-in-the-loop data validation process, Ocrolus plugs directly into customer workflows via API, eliminating the need for manual data work. Ocrolus has raised over $50 million in venture capital, backed by Oak HC/FT, FinTech Collective, Bullpen Capital, and QED Investors, among others.
We pride ourselves on being a dynamic, diverse team, unified by shared values of Ownership, Optimism, Objectivity, Humility, Urgency, and Appreciation. We love what we do and the people we do it with, which is why we invite our team to bring their full selves to work every day.
We are seeking an accomplished, senior lawyer with expertise in both labour law and commercial transactions. He keeps she will mainly support the technology transactions entered into by our Sales organization, which is in New York. He or she will also support the Human Resources teams in our three Indian offices, who are responsible for over 800 employees. Will be the only lawyer for now in India and report to the GC.
- Working with the Revenue organization globally to document our customer relationships (65%)
- Working with the IT organization globally to document our vendor relationships (10%)
- Working with our Compliance, HR, Operations and other groups to navigate Indian laws and regulations as we scale (20%)
- Managing basic corporate matters for OEPL, our Indian subsidiary, including acting as secretary to the board of directors (5%)
- Managing outside counsel and working with compliance consultants as needed
- Establishing and advising on policies as the company grows
- Instilling and maintaining a culture of compliance with the assistance of company and office leaders
- Reports to the General Counsel in New York
- There may be some paralegal support available from New York, but otherwise no support at first
- Potential to build a larger legal organization in India
- Bachelor of Laws degree with honors, in top third of graduating class from an Indian university in top third of rankings
- Master of Laws degree from another common law jurisdiction preferred but not required
- Total of least 8 years of post-university work experience as a lawyer at a firm or company
- Of that, at least four years at an Indian law firm, including at least one third of the time in employment law and at least one third in commercial contracts
- Additional Indian law firm experience helpful but not required will be with software as service, fintech, financial institutions, technology, privacy, licensing,
- At least two years of experience in the legal department of a multinational enterprise or growth-stage company, with responsibility for employment, commercial contracts or ideally both
- Experience working as part of a global, cross-functional team required
- Must have worked closely with revenue-generating teams in structuring and documenting new kinds of business transactions
- Member in good standing of the Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana or the Bar Council of Delhi, or possessing other credentials permitting the practice of law in-house in Gurugam
- Competency in basic Indian labor and employment laws and regulations; expert level not required
- Advanced competence in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements required, preferably in the areas noted above
- Excellent at juggling multiple matters and working with all stakeholders to prioritize
- Ability to communicate complicated concepts clearly & quick learner.
- Personality Traits:
- Team-orientation: good at seeking and building consensus
- Strategic thinker/pragmatic adviser
- Gravitas and graciousness
- Diversity and Inclusion a priority
Our employees are incredible individuals - that’s the only kind we hire - and we’re committed to their well-being and supporting their efforts to become the best they can be, both at work and in life. This includes offering flexible working hours, unlimited PTO, Summer Fridays, an inclusive work environment (D&I Council), and gym reimbursement for physical well-being.
We’re growing rapidly and were recently named #1 Fastest-Growing Fintech Company on the Inc. 5000, and #1 Fastest-Growing Software Company in NY in Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500. If you have ever wanted to jump on a rocket ship as it’s taking off, now is your chance!