Octopus for Business – Technology /
Octopus Energy is a scale-up electricity and gas supplier in Great Britain, having enjoyed huge success in its first 4 and a half years of existence and now supplies over 1.5 million households and businesses across the UK. Octopus Energy is also part of Octopus Group, the UK’s largest investor in solar farms and the third largest investor in renewable generation overall. The solar farms they’ve funded generate 40% of all the UK’s large scale solar, enough to power over a quarter of a million homes (when the sun shines!). They’ve also invested in wind generation, anaerobic digestion plans and “rapid response” gas generation to help balance supply when there’s no wind and sun.
Within Octopus Energy sits Octopus Energy for Business (OEB), who supply businesses from small independent coffee shops and schools all the way up to the likes of the National Space Centre and the Emirates Stadium. Their innovative approach to business energy has seen the launch of a number of successful products. These include Electric Juice, a dynamic tariff for the UK’s electric charging networks and Panel Power, a product for businesses with solar PV looking to decentralise their energy usage to name but a few.
A role with Octopus is a chance to join an exciting scale-up company within the energy supply sector, and one that is well placed to take advantage of the rapidly changing energy landscape. They enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a large, well-capitalised business with access to highly experienced and talented individuals, all whilst retaining the dynamic environment and energetic team that characterises start-up ventures.
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior application Developer to take on the challenge of creating and launching an app for Octopus Energy in the electrification space. You’ll take responsibility for building and managing the app, leading a small team of developers, and translating vision and requirements into technical reality. You’ll work with a small, high-energy project team to bring the vision to life – an exciting opportunity to work like a start-up within a rapidly scaling EnTech business.
We’re aiming to bring the product to both iOS and Android users, and so are open to ideas on the best way to achieve this – we’re currently proposing a build in React Native. The app will need to incorporate elements from native libraries and interact with multiple APIs to send & retrieve data.
This is a technically complex product that needs to be built to an exceptionally high standard – as such we’re looking for a superstar with a wide-range of skills.
What you'll have
- Have experience leading the creation of an app through all technical aspects: develop, integrate, ship, test, manage, improve
- Have experience with product architecting: can discuss vision and features within a team and propose solutions
- Have strong technical skills: e.g. React Native, familiarity with Java or Swift, experience with integrating (and indeed building) APIs
- Have a strong portfolio of pieces you have launched
- Have experience managing other developers effectively
What you'll get
- Equity Scheme (own part of the business)
- Pension Scheme - Employer 5% Employee 3% - you can opt to contribute more!
- Flexible working environment
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Fruit, breakfast and hot drinks
- Weekly free Friday drinks
- Regular social events (3 parties a year including a Summer festival)
- Access to Hatch - Financial advice and planning for employees
- Childcare Vouchers
- Maternity and Paternity pay
- Support to help with development (courses, learning, development)
If you are excited to be part of the Octopus journey, please apply your CV, a brief cover note and a link to your portfolio
If you this sounds like you and you have a genuine passion in the future of sustainability then we'd love to hear from you!