US Flexibility Lead
Octopus Energy US 🇺🇸 – Commercial /
Welcome to the future of energy
We are both an electricity retailer and a tech platform and we think there is no better way to address our greatest challenge, climate change, than with the combination of those two.
Through our proprietary tech platform, Kraken, we are changing the way people interact with their energy company - by making it approachable, low cost, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. In many markets we are a leading employer on Glassdoor for best places to work.
We are looking for a Flexibility Lead to supercharge our flexibility efforts in the USA. The Flexibility team at Octopus is responsible for creating and deploying next-generation smart retail products and offers to customers around the world - we are working to maximize MW under management and use these to create value for customers. The team’s work includes Intelligent Octopus - our leading managed demand product with 60,000 devices under control and growing rapidly - and other demand response initiatives like Sunny Money. We’re looking for a person to work closely with the management team in the USA to build new products and offerings that work for customers in the local market, support the efforts of our business in the USA, and accelerate energy’s transition to a flexible future.
The Texas grid is highly volatile. However, the growth of renewables and the increased adoption of smart connected devices across residential customers provides a lot of opportunities. Utilizing these connected devices to deliver flexibility is key for developing the grid of the future. This is an exciting opportunity to build a key function, both to enable Octopus to rapidly grow its customer base but also to innovate and participate in the drive to net zero.
What you'll do
- Launch attractive flexible energy offerings for the Texas market that deliver value for the retail business, including Intelligent Octopus and new products, and drive customer growth.
- Continue to develop and optimize our Intelligent Octopus program in the Texas to support Octopus Energy US risk management processes
- Potentially lead any Intelligent Octopus or Demand Response aggregation expansion plans in FERC markets
- Work with local and global teams to set product requirements, and localize and implement in the country.
- Understand, qualify, and successfully monetize aggregated loads in all relevant markets and services, with an emphasis on driving market evolution in parallel
- Engage stakeholders, including the regulator, government and system operators, to widen market access
- Identify and secure new opportunities for flexibility across the energy system, from generation through to demand
- Identify and cultivate strategic partnerships to grow Flexibility programs
- Partner with marketing and acquisition teams to grow customer and assets managed by Intelligent Octopus
- Drive thought leadership around the energy transition and champion a consumer-centric energy system
- Responsible for designing and delivering Octopus Energy’s participation in the ERCOT ‘ADER Pilot’ both from a technology and customer perspective.
- Working with third party device manufacturers on the technical requirements for their devices to be able to participate in the ADER pilot and developing a roadmap for enabling these
- Work closely with the Intelligent Octopus Product Manager to deliver product improvements
- Develop and refine residential connected device optimization and control strategies
- Work with the Data Team to gain insights and analyze the performance of connected customer devices to inform future strategies
- Work with the global flexibility and technology teams to deliver these optimization strategies
- Define and develop strategy for Intelligent Octopus as Octopus Energy US expands into other retail territories within the USA
What you'll need
- 5+ years owning and leading high impact business initiatives
- Good understanding of Texas energy market rules and a network in the local market, experience working directly with energy markets or ancillary services is a plus
- High ownership - you take responsibility for your work and drive stuff at pace independently
- Entrepreneurial mindset - you can value and pursue highest-value opportunities
- Delivery focus - you understand how to get stuff done and work across a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong and confident communication both written and verbal
- Strong ability to work across business functions concurrently
- Flexibility to work across international timezones
- Passion for shaping the energy transition in USA and ability to get stakeholders behind this mission
- Ability to quickly analyze data and make data driven decisions
Why else you'll love it here
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
- Paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! When on a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.