Investment Associate - Offshore Wind
London, UK /
Octopus Energy Generation ☀️ – Investment Management /
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
As part of the wider Octopus Energy group, Octopus Renewables sources, invests in and actively manages a range of utility scale renewable energy assets. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base of c£3.5bn.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe and a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage an increasingly global portfolio of renewable energy assets. The operational portfolio includes over 250 energy generating companies, delivering revenue in excess of £250m pa.
We have recently entered into offshore wind and have made 4 investments in the last year, including in Hornsea 1, the world’s largest operational offshore wind farm and Simply Blue Energy, a leading developer of floating offshore wind. Offshore wind is a key strategic growth area for Octopus Renewables and Octopus Energy – we have huge ambitions for the sector and are raising dedicated capital for investment in the sector.
Having originated, invested and managed assets in the renewable energy sector for over a decade, our energy investment and asset management team of c.90 professionals is one of the largest and most experienced in Europe. The team is structured for scale and long-term ownership of energy assets.
What you'll do
- Assist in origination activities including market research, organising and attending meetings, tracking potential investment opportunities, with a primary focus on offshore wind.
- Evaluate new offshore wind investment opportunities, considering returns in the context of identified risks, how these can be managed and other mitigating factors.
- Analyse, own and maintain complex financial models.
- Conduct financial, legal and technical due diligence on new investment opportunities, managing specialist external advisors.
- Prepare and present investment papers detailing new opportunities to the Investment Committee.
- Assist in the preparation of transaction contracts – reviewing and assisting negotiations of contractual terms.
- Arrange project finance which will include the management of lenders and their advisors
- Manage interactions with professional advisors including legal and technical.
What you'll need
- Full written and oral fluency in English; another language is a plus.
- Keen interest in the international offshore wind sector
- Prior experience is required, ideally in an offshore wind focused transaction role, from an investment bank, project finance lender, a fund manager, industrial or in a corporate finance team at one of the big 4 accountants.
- Analytical and Excel financial modelling skills, including VBA.
- Understanding of financial valuation theories coupled with core accounting and tax skills and an ability to read financial statements confidently; professional financial qualifications (accountancy, CFA/CA) and/or MBAs desirable but not essential.
- Project management and organisational skills. Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment.
- An ability to understand risks, reach a balanced appraisal of probability and severity and build workable risk mitigation strategies.
- Commercial mindset, able to understand the impact of commercial positions on potential investments and the potential to own increasing degrees of decision making over time.
- An ability to focus on the ultimate customer (the investors who trust us with their money) in all aspects of the role is essential.
- Excellent spoken and written communication, with the ability to influence internally and externally – from team members to project developers, project finance teams to technical advisors, Investment Committee members to potential investors. Strong presentation skills including advanced knowledge of PowerPoint.
- A self-starter with tenacity, initiative and a willingness to commit to deliver.
- A willingness to travel where required.
- Growth mindset to continually improve the way we work and the results we achieve.
- A strong team player with the confidence to exercise judgement appropriately, challenge and coordinate with colleagues at all levels of seniority.
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.