Lead Software Engineer
Octopus Energy UK 🇬🇧 – Research and Development /
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
Our ambition is to help put the world on the path to Net Zero. Through our R&D team, we’re working on exciting projects that will directly impact the future of renewable energy.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer that will help us build a software team in our growing R&D team. This position will initially be more technical and will then shift into a more managerial role as we progress with building the team. This will be a great opportunity for any senior software engineers that feel ready to step into a lead engineer role as many training opportunities will be offered in the process.
What you'll do
- Design, develop, and maintain software for embedded systems and IoT devices.
- Lead a small team that will be responsible for the software for various R&D projects related to electrification of heat
- Work alongside control engineers to implement their designs of novel electrification of heat related products
- Communicate software-related matters to a multidisciplinary team
- Design and implement best practices related to software design and development
What you'll need
- A degree in Computer Science, or any related Engineering discipline
- 3+years of experience in software engineering, preferably with embedded systems and IoT devices
- Proficiency inPython, particularly for embedded Linux systems
- Experience with another language such as C/C++, Rust, or Golang
- Experience working with microcontrollers, includingRaspberry Pi and Arduino
- An understanding of Linux system programming
- Competency in test-driven development
- Working knowledge of container technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Some experience with guiding colleagues in best practices for software development
It’d be great if you had
- Experience developing device drivers.
- An understanding of threading and multiprocessing.
- Knowledge of CI/CD processes.
- An understanding of communication protocols, such as I2C, SPI, Modbus.
- Experience with designing and managing OTA update systems.
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
The position can be hybrid or remote depending on the applicant's preference.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.