Houston/San Francisco/Los Angeles /
Octopus Energy US – Backend Engineering /
Welcome to the future of energy
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, automation and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
By accessing the industrial/wholesale rate, our customers save 20% on their energy costs. If they want to save even more? Our AI platform enables customers to amplify their total savings up to 40% off their electricity bill.
Formerly operating as Evolve Energy, our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are extremely pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
We are the latest acquisition of Octopus Energy, so our tech team needs to grow fast!
We follow a Kanban-like approach, using Google docs, BaseCamp, and Asana to specify and manage work; Github, CircleCI and Terraform Enterprise as part of an immutable-infrastructure, continuous delivery pipeline; and Loggly, Sentry and Cloudwatch to measure performance and monitor production.
Engineering standards are high. We pair program, thoroughly review and test code before it deploys, and maintain fast, high-value test suites. We have weekly tech talks, monthly blitz-days (eg sharpening our internal tools, upgrading dependencies) and can often be found at tech meet-ups and conferences.
Octopus is a great place to learn, work with some talented engineers and level-up your skills.
On the server-side, we mainly use Python. Most of our websites are powered by Django and the Django-REST-framework. We also use Pandas, Numpy and Jupyter for analysis and forecasting, plus Celery, RabbitMQ, SQS and Airflow for background processing.
We use AWS heavily, employing most of the "Hashistack" (eg Packer, Consul, Terraform) as part of a continuous deployment pipeline. See, for example, Django, ELB health checks and continuous delivery.
Client-side, we use React, Redux and SASS; our mobile apps are built using React Native.
What you'll do
- We have lots of difficult design challenges to solve. The US energy market is complicated, outdated and process-heavy - there's a lot of domain modelling that we need to get right. Strong attention to detail is essential.
- We have difficult technical problems to solve. With the advent of smart meters, we'll soon be processing millions of meter readings a day. We need the right technology in place to handle this smoothly as well as feeding data into a machine learning pipeline that models and predicts consumption.
- There's a great opportunity for disruption in the US energy market. The big suppliers still dominate, but are not popular. The energy landscape is changing as we move to more dis-aggregated forms of generation, with less predictability, more dynamism and smarter technology. Octopus Energy were the first UK supplier to introduce a "tracker" tariff whose prices track the daily wholesale prices: http://www.cleanenergynews.co.uk/news/efficiency/octopus-offers-transparency-with-wholesale-price-tariff
- You'll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change. Our parent company is the largest investor in solar generation in the UK, and are funding wind and anaerobic digestion. As a supplier, we're helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy, all helping move the UK towards a lower carbon future.
What you'll have
- General interest in technology and problem-solving; Diligent and thoughtful.
- Good communication skills
- Django REST Framework
- Domain modelling
- HTTP and REST APIs
- Writing robust and fault-tolerant software
- Celery and async processing
- Legally able to work within the USA
- Terraform, Packer, Consul
- React and Redux
- Professional understanding of the US energy domain
Plus experience in the following would be a bonus:
What you'll get
- Flexible working environment
- Support to help with development (courses, learning, development)
- Equity Scheme (own part of the business, with potential limits by national boundaries)
- A chance to help people save money on their energy bills while working to address climate change
We would prefer someone who can work post-pandemic in our Los Angeles/West Hills office but will consider remote (US and non-US) arrangements for exceptional candidates. For those who want to work within the USA, we cannot sponsor H1 applications.
Above all, we’re looking for someone who thrives on providing alternative opinions, challenging those around them and being challenged.
Evolve Energy is part of the Octopus Energy Group, which also includes Octopus Energy, Kraken Technologies, Octopus Energy for Business and Octopus Electric Vehicles.
Come join the team!