Senior Frontend Developer
Milan, IT /
Octopus Energy Italia 🇮🇹 – Technology /
Octopus Energy Italia is targeting 1 million Italian energy accounts by 2025 (5% of the market). The rapid expansion will be driven by an initial investment of €60 million from Octopus Energy, coming soon after the $600 million injection from Al Gore-backed Generation Investment Management that Octopus Energy Group received in October 2021 and the $300 million investment made by the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPP Investments) made in December 2021. These two investments value the company approximately US$5 billion, rivalling that of many long-established energy giants.
All technology is written and maintained by a multi-discipline engineering team of around 400 people. This includes server-side, client-side and mobile engineers working closely with UX experts, copywriters and designers.
We follow a Kanban-like approach, using Google docs and Asana to specify and manage work; Github, CircleCI and Terraform Enterprise as part of an immutable-infrastructure, continuous delivery pipeline; and Loggly, Sentry and Cloudwatch to measure performance and monitor production.
Some of our coding conventions are open-source .
Octopus is a great place to learn, work with some talented engineers and level-up your skills.
On the server-side, we mainly use Python. Most of our websites are powered by Django, Django-REST-framework and GraphQL (Graphene).
We use AWS heavily, employing most of the "Hashistack" (eg Packer, Consul, Terraform) as part of a continuous deployment pipeline. See, for example, Django, ELB health checks and continuous delivery.
Client-side, we use React; our mobile apps are built using native code or React Native.
What you'll have
- A very strong knowledge of our stack, listed below
- Experience taking problems, rather than strict guidelines, and developing strong solutions
- Confidence tackling large-scale tasks individually
- An empathetic approach to delegating work and collaborating with others
- The ability to develop websites that meet strong accessibility guidelines
- Experience building scalable, performant sites that handle high levels of traffic well
- GraphQL & Apollo
- Styled components & SASS
- Jest & React Testing Library
- Django/Python (server-side and templating)
Handy, but not essential:
- Python knowledge (our back-end language of choice)
- Experience leading teams or mentoring other developers
- Experience working on a multi-national codebase
- Previous experience in the energy industry
What you'll love about us
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
We’re looking for someone who thrives on solving tough problems. Someone who can challenge those around them, and be challenged, while delivering delightful experiences for our internal and external customers.
If this sounds like a great opportunity but you are based far from our offices, we are also open to remote working 🏠