Group Financial Controller
Octopus Energy UK 🇬🇧 – Finance /
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We have an opportunity for an experienced and dynamic Group Financial Controller to join us at the centre of Octopus Energy Group.
In this role, you will lead our core finance functions - accounting and reporting, tax, accounts payable, payroll, treasury administration an
d finance systems.
You’ll be responsible for performance, planning and development across each area in finance including further developing the teams that we have in place.
What you'll do
- Manage a team of highly talented and motivated staff looking to continually drive improvement across the function and support the Group’s growth
- Have ownership of the financial control and governance processes, monthly consolidation, and annual reporting cycle (including the statutory reporting) as well as liaising with shareholder finance teams
- Have ownership of the annual audit process and leading discussions with the Audit Committee
- Technical accounting leadership in support of the complex transactions undertaken across the Group
- Oversee the Tax team
- Manage the Accounts Payable function including supporting continuous improvement in automation and simplification of processes
- Manage the payroll and treasury administration functions
- Manage a Finance Systems function including leading the global NetSuite ERP implementation
- Support international finance teams as we expand internationally
What you'll need
- Previous experience in a similar role in a large, complex business (multiple business units and ideally geographies)
- To be able to take a grounded risk-based approach to control in a fast paced environment
- The ability to immerse yourself in financial intricacies, challenging the status quo, and driving improvements
- Exceptional problem-solving skills that require a robust intellectual foundation, allowing you to navigate complex financial challenges effectively
- Experience across a number of the key areas of responsibility outlined above
- The ability to plan and scale teams and improve processes, including automation
- To be a proactive leader who thrives in a dynamic environment, spearheading teams to achieve financial excellence while adapting to evolving business needs.
- Be a problem solver that can take others with you on your decision making
- To enjoy and thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment
- An accounting qualification (e.g. ACA, ACCA)
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.