Technical Asset Manager (Rooftop Solar)
Octopus Energy Generation ☀️ – Asset Management /
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
Octopus Energy Generation (OEGEN) is a leader in sourcing, investing in, and managing a
wide range of utility-scale renewable energy assets. As we continue to expand our investment
base, we are dedicated to building a diverse team that reflects the communities we serve.
Since our entry into the renewables market in 2010, OEGEN has achieved remarkable
milestones, becoming a leading investor in onshore wind across mainland Europe, the largest
investor of solar power in Europe, and recently venturing into offshore wind projects. Currently,
we manage a global portfolio of over £6 billion in renewable energy assets.
Our operational portfolio consists of more than three hundred large scale energy-generating
companies. We take pride in our wind farms, solar power plants, and upcoming projects in
energy storage and hydrogen. To support our ambitious growth plans and long-term ownership
of energy assets, we are expanding our team.
About the role
We are looking for a Technical Asset Manager to join the team responsible for the
management of Octopus Renewables’ solar energy portfolio. The role will be focused on the
expansion of our commercial scale rooftop solar portfolio across Europe and operate within a
team dedicated to expansion in this area. The portfolio compromises of over 200 solar farms
across Europe plus a growing offshore portfolio, totalling over 1GW of capacity. The role
represents a great opportunity for someone passionate about the enormous opportunity in solar
The role will be responsible for ensuring quality and safety standards for construction of new
build assets, as well as supporting the oversight of our operational assets. The successful
candidate will be required to manage a range of outsourced partners and contractors to
achieve these goals. They will be responsible for the development and management of the
associated policies, procedures and controls.
The role will be based in London, with flexibility and remote work options to accommodate your
needs and maintain work-life balance.
We strongly encourage applications from talented individuals of all backgrounds. We firmly
believe that diverse experiences lead to increased innovation, collaboration, and success.
Throughout our selection process, we prioritise understanding your values and aspirations,
ensuring a cultural fit with our team.
What you'll do
- Oversight of the solar rooftop construction program and activities on site
- Management of construction to Octopus quality standards for new build solar rooftop assets. Developing necessary processes and procedures to maintain consistency of build quality and cost.
- Ensuring relevant third parties operate to required levels through relevant governance and contractual frameworks
- Support ongoing management of operational rooftop solar assets, including performance review, issue resolution and risk management activities
- Help drive safety standards across the rooftop solar industry
- Support creation and delivery of technical strategy across commercial solar rooftops
- Maintain and enhance the risk monitoring framework so as to identify any issues early and resolve them in a timely fashion
- Work closely with investment teams to identify technical risks and opportunities with new deals, in the process preparing the asset management teams for asset on-boarding
- Work closely with wider commercial and technical teams to monitor and optimise performance throughout the life cycle of plants
What you'll need
- Strong technical background and direct experience of commercial rooftop solar construction (5+ years)
- Use of analytical tools and risk management techniques to identify quality and performance issues
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, particularly for presenting analysis and recommendations to stakeholders, and translating technical information for non-technical teams.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously
- Flexibility and “can do” attitude
- Willingness to train and support others
- Able to critically examine and question information from a variety of sources
Why you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.