Valencia, ESP /
Octopus Energy Spain 🇪🇸 – Technology /
More recently, we have acquired the green energy start up Umeme in order to bring the green energy revolution to the Spanish market. Read more HERE.
It's in making this vision a reality that we are looking for you to help us achieve this.
At Octopus we’ve developed a data platform that provides data services to the business in the UK and our retail energy businesses around the world. The platform enables self-service of data analytics to hundreds of data hungry users as well as automation of all our data workflows from simple ETL jobs to ML training and prediction.
The data platform team works across the whole customer domain on anything from natural language understanding of our customer communications to processing billions of smart meter readings to build customised smart energy tariffs.
As the volume, scope and geographical range of our data services rapidly expand, we’re looking for an experienced data engineer to join the team to help us build and maintain our platform, pipelines and data sources.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on data problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology to change the way customers use energy.
We employ software engineering best practices to design, test, and deploy our data platform and services. The projects will be varied and we’re looking for someone who can work autonomously and proactively to scope problems and solve and deliver pragmatic solutions
What you'll do
- Build new data sources and data pipelines that deliver key data and insights to the business
- Work closely with the data science and analytics teams to maintain and develop our central data models in dbt
- Build and maintain testing and documentation frameworks for our data sources
- Work with the business to scope and deliver new data engineering projects and requirements
- Maintain and build on our existing data infrastructure and tools
- Support the internationalization of our data infrastructure as we continue to grow globally
Our Data Stack
- Python as our main programming language
- Kubernetes for data services and task orchestration
- Airflow purely for job scheduling and tracking
- Circle CI for continuous deployment
- Parquet and Delta file formats on S3 for data lake storage
- Spark for data processing
- dbt for data modelling
- Presto and SparkSQL for analytics
- Streamlet for data applications
What you'll love about us
- First and foremost, we want our data engineers to be great software engineers with a passion for writing high quality code
- Experience modelling data for analytics - ideally experience using dbt as a modelling tool
- Experience in assuring data quality
- Experience deploying data services in a cloud environment (ideally AWS)
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
We would prefer someone who can work in our Spain (Valencia) office but will consider remote candidates (warning: the bar is much higher). You do need to be able to work in Spain/EU without a VISA though.
Above all, we’re looking for someone who thrives on providing alternative opinions, challenging those around them and being challenged.