Refrigeration Systems Design Engineer
Octopus Energy UK 🇬🇧 – Marketing & Product /
Our ambition is to help put the world on the path to Net Zero. Through our R&D team, we’re working on exciting projects that will directly impact the future of renewable energy. Our R&D team is now rapidly expanding and we’re looking for determined people to join us our mission. It is not only pure engineering knowledge that we are looking for; we are very keen on candidates with a can-do attitude and a real desire to make the world a better place. We want you to feel you that you are contributing to an important mission and we want you to develop yourself. You will have excellent training opportunities and a fantastic place to grow as a professional.
What you'll do
- Work on designing and developing brand new products related to the electrification ofheat.
- Work in the state of the art Octopus Energy Research & Development Centre.
- Join an established team of Mechanical and Control Engineers.
- Guide the design aspects of refrigeration systems in various R&D projects
What you'll need
- An undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or any similar area.
- A good theoretical knowledge of refrigerant cycles (e.g. interpreting P-h curves, calculating cycle efficiencies, and performing heat transfer calculations).
- Experience with refrigerant selection and an understanding of their relative merits and disadvantages.
- Knowledge of F-GAS refrigeration standards and certifications – e.g, EN378.
- Competency with refrigeration system design software, such as REFPROP or AFT Fathom.
- An understanding of variable speed compressors and other advances in refrigeration technology.
- Experience of selecting components, such as compressors, expansion valves, heat exchangers, etc.
- Practical experience and an appreciation of the challenges involved in putting together a complete refrigeration system.
- The ability to read and create P&IDs
It would be great if you had
- Working experience with mechanical CAD software, such as Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc.
- An understanding of auxiliary equipment that interface with refrigerant circuits.
- Experience with material compatibility and selection for refrigeration systems. (e.g. lubrication)
- Hands-on experience of fault detection and diagnostics in refrigeration circuits.
- An understanding of DFMA.
- Some understanding of control methodologies for refrigerant systems
What you'll love about us
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about!
- What do you get? Click here