Portfolio Associate (Development)
London, UK /
Octopus Energy Generation ☀️ – Asset Management /
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
As part of the wider Octopus Energy group, Octopus Renewables sources, invests in and actively manages a range of utility scale renewable energy and energy transition assets and companies. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base of c£5bn.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe and a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage an increasingly global portfolio of renewable energy assets. The operational portfolio includes over 350 energy generating companies, delivering revenue in excess of £250m pa.
Having been in the business for over a decade, our growing team of 80+ professionals is one of the largest and most experienced in Europe. The team is focused on growth and the long-term management of our renewable energy portfolios.
To ensure that we generate a strong pipeline of future energy projects we have created a new Development Team within which this new role will play a key part. The Development Team finds exciting 3rd party businesses who are developing new renewable projects. We then invest in or alongside those companies and work with them to help them grow and deliver the projects which will be the basis of our future growth.
The Development Platform Associate is the pivotal role for our Development Team. Working directly for the Development Director, the primary focus is on ensuring the successful management of value in our growing portfolio of Development Companies.
We are looking for an experienced team member who is able to quickly integrate into the role. You will be highly organised, have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to create new methods for managing your own work and supporting the wider team.
What you'll do
- You will be working day to day with senior executives in our investee companies and directors within Octopus, supporting in the development of:
- Analysing performance information.
- Supporting decision making.
- Evaluations opportunities.
- Establishing management standards and processes.
- We are building a team around three specialisms so will be assessing your capability against the following.
- Partner management: Liaison with the reporting teams of our investee businesses; ensuring focus on the strategically and tactically important issues. Building trust to ensure timely and transparent reporting and raising of issues. Engaging senior staff members and specialists where appropriate to solve issues.
- Platform management and team support: Building the central infrastructure for our management information; implementing improved standards for reporting and documentation; maintaining checklists and trackers; supporting the implementation of a culture of control and visibility across the team.
- Governance coordination: Running the reporting cycle and calendar; ensuring board papers and reports are on time and fit for purpose; ensuring the process for capturing and completing actions.
What you'll need
- Commercial literacy: understanding of contractual documents; drivers/protection of value.
- Strong communications: writing recommendations; making complex issues digestible.
- Financial literacy: understanding of accounting/value concepts and financial modelling.
- Process understanding: The ability to establish new processes and systems.
- Relationship management: capability to build relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Organised - evidence of managing multiple activity streams in a fast-paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial - willingness to take ownership of multiple workstreams and deliver.
- Strong team ethic – ability to work with third parties and build relationships
- Board reporting and board management experience.
- Experience in team management, document & content management, transaction support, or commercial management.
- Experience in energy projects, or energy project development would be an advantage.
- Experience of working with and developing Sharepoint or similar systems would be an advantage.
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.