Senior Policy Manager - International
Centre for Net Zero 🌎 – Policy & Government /
Technology is transforming the energy sector, yet modelling and policy continues to be based on data from the past. Centre for Net Zero (CNZ) designs and runs research and field trials around the world to collect and democratise data about the future, accelerating the journey to a fully sustainable, global energy system.
We are a team of data scientists, economists, strategists and policy experts, running field trials, building technology, and generating data and insights.
As a non-profit company within the Octopus Energy Group, we pursue change for the whole energy landscape. We lead our own research agenda and operate autonomously. Our relationship with Octopus allows us to learn from millions of global customers, through billions of data points.
Initial Application Deadline: 29th February 2024
In short, CNZ delivers...
- Field trials. We run large-scale statistical analyses and randomised control trials to rigorously understand changes in consumer energy behaviours. Our research unlocks better modelling, and expands the global evidence base in behavioural science and energy economics.
- Technology. We encode future energy behaviours into today’s data and models. Our pioneering tools and tech platforms are dynamic and granular, reflecting the rapidly changing sector. We democratise the data that underpins our work, sharing what we learn as open, privacy-proof synthetic data and accelerating global energy transitions.
- Impact. We believe in building a better global energy system. We use insights from our research to create and campaign for pioneering policies and open data communities that can unlock tech-led transformation at speed, in multiple markets.
About this role...
- We are looking for an experienced policy professional to support the Centre’s increasingly international focus. You will be part of a small, focused team, working alongside our Director of External Affairs and Policy Manager. This role will lead non-UK policy and engagement activities focused on bridging the gap between our research findings, and real world system change. Key markets we want to initially engage with include the US, several European countries, Japan and Australia.
- The candidate will draw on their knowledge of international energy markets and policy to build relationships and influence a large and diverse set of stakeholders, disseminating our research findings to push the boundaries of global energy policy-making.
- CNZ’s approach to field trials, tech development and policy is pioneering, so the candidate will need to be comfortable leading and directly contributing to activities where the thinking is new and original and the ability to fall back on established views is limited.
What you'll do...
- Work as part of our external affairs team to ideate, develop and deliver policy campaigns, drawing on CNZ’s research, that are designed to engage key international political and energy stakeholders.
- Build strong working relationships with senior political stakeholders and key decision-makers, including politicians, governmental organisations, regulators and industry associations.
- Work closely with our data and trials teams to shape research that provides novel insights on the most pertinent and high impact energy policy issues.
- Raise the profile of Centre for Net Zero on an international stage, as we expand our research and policy engagement into new markets.
- Globalising our Smart Building Rating concept - drawing on proof of concept work developed and delivered in the UK to identify strategic partners and programmes to drive global adoption of the rating.
- Advancing our ‘OpenSynth’ partnership with LF Energy, to grow a global community of users and contributors of synthetic energy data.
- Supporting CNZ’s field trials team to successfully deliver trials in France and Texas, leading the development of CNZ’s policy-facing summaries of this research and follow up policy and media activities.
What you’ll work on in your first six months with us - and more!
What you'll need...
- Experience working in or closely with one or more of the energy, transport or built environment sectors, and a good working understanding of low carbon technologies and markets.
- Strong evidence-based, cross-cutting policy development experience, at national or international level.
- A strong stakeholder network, with global reach. Experience and confidence advising and influencing at senior levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. An ability to synthesise research findings and communicate their implications clearly to different audiences.
- Experience in getting to grips with technical concepts and research findings. You should be numerate, confident in reading academic papers and have a good attention to detail.
- To be comfortable moving at speed, under a level of ambiguity and in a collaborative environment.
- Experience working in/with emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence, and/or data.
- Experience of developing political engagement campaigns from scratch, building coalitions and consensus around innovations that can drive change.
It would be great if you had...
Why else you'll love it here...
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
This role is based at Centre Net Zero’s HQ in London, UK.
If you are interested in the Centre for Net Zero please send us over your details along with a bit about you and why you're interested.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.