Commercial Asset Manager
Octopus Energy Generation ☀️ – Asset Management /
Octopus Energy Generation (OEGEN) is a leader in sourcing, investing in, and managing a wide range of utility-scale renewable energy assets. As we continue to expand our investment base, we are dedicated to building a diverse team that reflects the communities we serve.
Since our entry into the renewables market in 2010, OEGEN has achieved remarkable milestones, becoming a leading investor in onshore wind across mainland Europe, the largest investor of solar power in Europe, and recently venturing into offshore wind projects. Currently, we manage a global portfolio of over £6 billion in renewable energy assets.
Our operational portfolio consists of more than three hundred large scale energy-generating companies. We take pride in our wind farms, solar power plants, and upcoming projects in energy storage and hydrogen. To support our ambitious growth plans and long-term ownership of energy assets, we are expanding our team.
We are looking for a Commercial Asset Manager to support the management of wind and solar investments in Germany. The role will also support new investment decision making in the region. The German market is one of Octopus’ core target market with an existing portfolio of 125MW of wind and solar assets. It is expected to grow significantly over the next five years. The role will require a significant amount of time in both London and Germany, with flexibility and remote work options to accommodate your needs and maintain work-life balance.
We strongly encourage applications from talented individuals of all backgrounds. We firmly believe that diverse experiences lead to increased innovation, collaboration, and success.
What you'll do
- Work with the wider asset management team; the successful candidate will be required to manage a range of outsourced partners and contractors.
- Be responsible for the development and management of the associated policies, contracting and relationship strategies in the region.
- Bring German market expertise to management of Octopus’ German renewable asset portfolio. Including knowledge of German contracts, key market participants and local regulations.
- Support the performance management of the existing German portfolio, helping to ensure investments achieve relevant performance targets
- Lead relationship with German suppliers, including local asset managers, operations and maintenance providers, construction companies, network operators and other key providers.
- Develop and lead contracting strategies to manage risk and ensure Octopus standards are met across all investments
- Drive issue resolution incl. commercial decision making and getting approvals from the relevant investment committee as appropriate
- Maintain and enhance the risk monitoring framework so as to identify any issues early and resolve them in a timely fashion
- Work closely with investment teams to identify contractual and/or commercial risks and opportunities with new deals, in the process preparing the asset management teams for asset on-boarding
- Work closely with wider commercial and technical teams to monitor and optimise performance throughout the life cycle of plants; gathering and managing detailed data for the portfolio companies
What you'll need
- A good knowledge of the German renewables market including experience of typical project contractual frameworks (including TSMAs, PPAs, BoP and OEM contracts), the regulatory environment and how the industry operates.
- Experience working in renewable asset management with good understanding of key technical assumptions, performance indicators and risk management measures.
- High commercial and numerical acumen, with a good understanding of key financial metrics investors use
- An ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication at all levels, particularly when translating technical information for non-technical teams.
- A willingness to train and support others
- Fluency in German
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? On a call with one of our recruiters, this is always something we cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit! We will also ask your current salary - we want to let you know this upfront so you're comfortable talking about it on a call with us.
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership