Senior Backend Developer
London, UK /
Octopus Electric Vehicles 🚙 – Product & Technology /
What we do. Electric Car Leasing
Why we do it. Greener. Fairer. Future.
We are looking for a seasoned Backend Developer to join our London team in the development of one of Octopus Group's most exciting businesses, and help accelerate the British driving public on their energy transition.
We are building a whole new way for drivers to join the electric revolution and not only learn about and shop for their EV online, but experience a 'lease for life' through an industry changing customer experience.
The Engineering team is crucial in bringing this vision to life, working as part of a wider Product team that collaborates hand in hand with teams across the company to deliver it in a record time.
You will be joining at an incredibly exciting time as we evolve our architecture to allow for our next stage of growth and support exciting new innovations and propositions.
What you'll do
- Architect and build services that will empower our rapidly expanding customer base as well as giving our internal teams the tools to continue providing a 5* service at scale
- Collaborate on a wide range of projects from rich dashboards, order tracking and account areas to bringing whole new propositions to life
- Integrate third-party services for a more unified experience for our customers and internal teams
- Mentor and develop our growing team and foster a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Shape our technical vision as we continue to scale and expand our offering
What you'll have
- Strong technical knowledge and proven ability in the Python ecosystem
- Passion for writing clean, maintainable and testable code
- Experience of microservices, event-driven architecture and building applications at scale
- Enjoy working in agile teams, constantly iterating and deploying frequently
- An ability to communicate complex ideas effectively to both developers and non-technical team members
- Familiarity with AWS or working with similar cloud providers
- An interest in sustainability, green energy and zero-emissions transport
Our tech stack:
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
We’re looking for someone who thrives on solving tough problems. Someone who can challenge those around them, and be challenged, while delivering delightful experiences for our internal and external customers.
If this sounds like a great opportunity but you are based outside of London, we are also open to remote working 🏠If this all sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.