Investment Associate - Development (German-speaking)
Octopus Energy Generation ☀️ – Investment Management /
As part of the wider Octopus Energy group, Octopus Energy Generation (“OEGEN”) sources, invests in and actively manages a range of utility scale renewable energy assets. Since entering the renewables market in 2010, OEGEN has grown to become one of the largest renewable investors in Europe. We are looking to expand our c.120 professionals team as we continue to scale our investments base of c£6bn and 3.5GW+ of renewable projects.
The OEGEN Development Team focuses on investing into the development stage of renewable energy.
We are flexible in our structuring and acquire equity stakes from minorities to 100% in renewable energy developers, enter into joint ventures and development service agreements. We invest from very early-stage/greenfield pipelines to mature companies. We get inspired by entrepreneurial management teams with whom we want to work long term and accelerate their growth not only through funding, but also through growth strategy coaching, filling skill gaps and bringing synergies with a wider Octopus business.
Our funds have mandates to invest into multiple renewable technologies, and our current portfolio includes developers of utility-scale solar, rooftop solar, onshore wind, floating offshore wind and storage. Our current coverage is the UK and Europe but we expand quickly globally. The team actively deploys several funds and has a mandate to invest more than £200m p.a.
Only in the last two years have we acquired stakes in or partnered with NorGen, Wind2, Simply Blue Energy, FFNEV, Zestec, Gridsource, Nexta, Exagen, BLCe, etc.
We are a team of fourteen people and keep growing. The team is split into origination/execution and portfolio management, everyone working on deals is involved on managing companies after acquisition. Seven out of twelve people have a first-hand experience in developing renewable projects. We speak five languages and come from seven nationalities. If you are interested in seeing our team, check out our profiles: Chris Gaydon, Julia Gubar, Barney Rhys Jones, Sarah Garfitt, James Parker, Sebastian Joo, Sonia De Sales, Santiago Cortezo, Tarek Sabbagh, Paridhi Poddar, Laura Powell, Virginia Nappi, Calum Mitchell, Ashleigh Hawkins.
We love the impact we create on the planet and communities, working with each other and have fun along the way. We have a culture of empowerment, without politics and hierarchies. We work and socialise closely with other teams at OEGEN living “one team, one dream” philosophy.
The Associate will be a key member of the OEGEN Development Team working closely with everyone at OEGEN. You are expected to champion Octopus’ culture, team spirit and be an antibody to politics. We believe in empowerment and helping our team members learn and grow in the industry. You will have ownership on different workstreams and will be encouraged to take more responsibility on new ones with the support of the wider team and senior colleagues.
We strongly encourage applications from a variety of candidates - we believe that different experiences result in increased ideas, collaboration and success. The first stage of the process will include a run through of our company culture, as well as a conversation around what is important for you in your next role.
What you'll do
- Structuring and transaction execution: assist in finding partnership structures for each specific deal, drafting offers, selecting and coordinating advisors, conducting pro-active due diligence, challenging the conclusions and managing/supporting the governance and investment cases for these deals to the Investment Committee. Management of internal stakeholders to achieve ‘buy in’ to new opportunities.
- Diligence and modelling: Create business plans for various types of businesses, develop and run project models in various markets. Assessment of a large number of development teams and pipelines, selecting those with the best fit for OEGEN culture and objectives and appetite for risk.
- Origination: assist in origination activities including market research, the assessment of regulatory frameworks, organising meetings and reaching out to potential partners.
- Last mile development: identifying opportunities for project optimisation, assisting developers in getting projects to ready-to-build status/ preparing them for acquisitions including support with construction contracts tendering and contracting and managing key project delivery risks to resolution.
- Portfolio management: supervising the development process and assisting the development teams that OEGEN has already invested in.
- Investment strategy: continual review of trends in the wider marketplace, providing ad hoc analysis and insight as part of the ongoing assessment of opportunities. You will work closely with the team, to ensure the opportunities which best fit the investor’s objectives are being prioritised and executed.
What you'll need
- With the support of the team around you, be a pro-active and self-starting team player who has a strong sense of ownership and “can do” attitude.
- Financial modelling skills.
- Commercial mindset - entrepreneurial attitude and a willingness to take ownership of deals.
- Experience in negotiating and structuring of partnerships, co-development agreements, joint ventures, framework agreements, etc.
- Organised and efficient on a personal level.
- Exceptional project management and organisational skills.
- Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to make things happen when there is no clearly defined or well-trodden path.
- Knowledge of the project development process including planning, grid connection and route to market in one or more countries is a plus.
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits