London, UK /
Octopus Energy UK 🇬🇧 – Legal /
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We have a rare opportunity for a qualified solicitor to join our Legal team in London. We are ideally looking for someone who has a background in commercial and IP law, who can take the lead on some of our software licensing agreements. We’re currently a small team of three, advising on all areas impacting our rapidly growing business.
The role offers a challenging and exciting opportunity to work on a wide range of legal matters, from licensing deals for our proprietary tech platform ‘Kraken’, to investment M&A transactions as we expand our business both in the UK and across the globe, to building our Electric Vehicles leasing business, to the roll out of our smart meter and EV charge point installation network – and everything else in-between. No two days are the same at Octopus Energy. We’re looking for another solicitor to join our tight-knit team and help support our business across all these areas as we continue to grow at pace.
What you'll do
- You’ll lead the review, drafting and negotiation of various types of contracts and documentation to support our business
- We try and do as much work as we can in-house – it’s more fun that way. But for some of our larger transactions (such as acquisitions and investments) we use our panel of external law firms. The Legal team will always be closely involved in these transactions and you would help us to select, liaise with and manage our external counsel, building our relationships to ensure successful delivery & cost effectiveness.
- We have a very flat, open structure at Octopus Energy. You’ll be reporting to our Legal Director, but will work closely with various members of the team across all levels. You’ll be expected to be independent and run with your own projects with relatively light supervision.
What you’ll need..
- Experience of having worked in-house, so that you’re familiar with the variety and fast paced nature of an in-house role at a rapidly expanding global business like Octopus Energy would be a real benefit
- Experience in commercial and IP law will also be a bonus, so you can take the lead on some of our software licensing agreements
- To be a fully qualified UK lawyer. We would consider a range of PQE’s, but expect that you’ll require at least 4-5 years PQE experience for the role and be capable of managing your own workload
- You’ll need a sensible, commercial approach to succeed here – you need to be comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment with direct exposure to senior management and stakeholders, willing to take responsibility and make commercial decisions
- Be excellent at prioritisation and working proactively and efficiently. Happy to multi-task and manage a variety of transactions at any given time
- A desire to be part of a tight and ambitious team, willing to work hard and ‘muck in’ to help out other members of the team
- Be comfortable providing advice in a flexible, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment where priorities may be changeable and often have tight turnaround times
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.