Mobile QA Engineer
London, UK /
Kraken Technologies 📈 – Mobile Development /
Kraken is the technology behind Octopus Energy.
We invented, designed and built Kraken Technologies to ensure that we had the most innovative, data-centric and customer-focused technology to support our top-class customer service. Kraken Technologies now delivers transformational Energy-Tech to businesses around the world to make the global transition to green energy quicker and more affordable.
We’re now licensing Kraken Technologies to businesses globally. You can read about our partnership with E.On HERE as an example to see how Kraken is evolving our business. You can learn more about how the migration works in practice HERE.
Our aim is to have 100 million customers on the Kraken Platform by the year 2030.
Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre - Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company and Tokyo Gas, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, invest in Kraken Technologies, build more tech to make energy greener and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets, the UK and Globally.
We’re a newly established mobile team (we just passed our 1st birthday!) with a number of native mobile projects currently in development and we’re looking to expand.
We’re building a team to work fluently, move fast and make a tangible difference in Energy tech. Our current projects span Electric Vehicles, Energy accounts, Smart home devices, Acquisitions and Engineer solutions.
You’ll be working to solve problems at a global scale. You’ll help define culture and processes necessary to work collaboratively and effectively across multiple product teams, whilst instilling good engineering practices for the team as a whole.
Being a new team without the constraints of large legacy codebases has enabled us to make modern technology choices. All our apps are built with declarative UI (Jetpack Compose & SwiftUI), all our APIs are built in GraphQL, and we use a modern selection of libraries and software development techniques.
We have projects in pure Android/Kotlin, others in pure iOS/Swift and we also use Kotlin Multiplatform in larger projects to share code between native codebases.
New to Kotlin Multiplatform? This tech enables both iOS and Android developers to contribute to shared business logic written in Kotlin which compiles to native libraries for respective platforms (Java libraries in Android & frameworks/cocoapods/spm packages in iOS). We encourage all developers to get involved in writing shared code, learn about other platforms, and contribute where they feel comfortable.
This tech allows us to work as a unified mobile team, as opposed to having an iOS/Android divide, which we’ve found to be really exciting, opening up new opportunities to learn and collaborate.
What you'll do...
- You will be the focal point for integration, end-to-end and performance testing activities, examining our processes, ensuring quality is embedded throughout
- Provide input for and champion system testability, collaborating with the development teams to mentor and educate them in good testing practices to improve quality
- Drive the creation of a reliable automated testing suite with strong reporting capabilities that ensures simple, effective analysis of failures for teams to use
- Implement clear quality principles for all development teams to follow, including our approach to cross-functional requirements such as security & performance
- Be hands-on - help enhance and maintain our automation testing coverage
What you'll need...
- Proactively triage and fix bugs within the codebase
- Hands-on experience with automated testing tools
- Experience in writing clear, concise and comprehensive test plans and test cases for stories & features
- You can apply your ‘test’ mindset to exploring and understanding other teammates’ perspectives and can foster a common idea of quality
- Proficient with Kotlin and have experimented with other programming languages
- Are keen to dig into new technologies like Jetpack Compose and GraphQL
- Can discuss vision and features within a team and propose creative solutions
- Familiarity with source control best practices and continuous integration
- Are excited to explore cross platform code sharing solutions (whilst keeping the UI 100% native)
- Passionate about great app design and user experience
What you'll love about us...
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like a great opportunity but you are based outside of London, we are also open to remote working 🏠
If this all sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.