Manchester, UK /
KrakenFlex 💪 – Technology /
The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
We are seeking a Platform Engineer who is security-focused and skilled in AWS architecture, deployment, and management. This is a hands-on, creative, and collaborative position that is a full-time member of an AWS-focused agile platform engineering team. The position will work closely with our delivery and integrations teams to improve the overall security, quality and scalability of our product build, deployment and monitoring.
As a team, we work heavily with infrastructure as code and we also write software, so we're looking for a Platform Engineer with experience in Software Development, or a Software Engineer with experience in Platform Engineering.
What you'll do
- Design and automate the deployment of secure and scalable AWS infrastructure
- Drive technical decisions to develop and manage the product engineering roadmap
- Build and maintain robust and secure CI/CD pipelines
- Plan and implement solutions for backup and recovery, high availability, key management, and other strategic initiatives
- Develop small pieces of software that form part of the wider KrakenFlex platform
- Setup and maintain monitoring, metrics & reporting systems for fine-grained observability and actionable alerting
- Collaborate with external pen-testing company to evaluate the security for all aspects of our AWS implementation
- Work as part of a team of engineers, regularly seeking feedback and growing your skills as technical professionals
- Work with our delivery teams to ensure our services adhere to the AWS Well-Architected Framework (Operational Excellence, Security, Reliability, Performance Efficiency, Cost Optimization and Sustainability)
What you'll need
- Multiple years experience working with AWS
- Awareness of and experience in implementing and automating security best-practices
- Strong understanding of common services available in AWS (both infrastructure-based services and software-based services) to deliver end-to-end architectures and designs and recommendations. We are moving towards Serverless on AWS, but continue to maintain some managed infrastructure such as EC2 and EKS
- Proficient with DevOps methodologies such as CI/CD, version control (we use GitHub) and full-stack repeatability
- Ability to prioritise tasks and work independently
- Experience working with infrastructure as code tools such as CloudFormation, Terraform and CDK.
It would be great if you had
- Foundational networking knowledge, such as switching, firewalls, routing and DNS
- AWS networking knowledge, such as VPCs, Transit Gateways and how this works in a multi-region environment
- An awareness of security processes and DevOps security tools
- Software development experience in either Typescript or Python
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
Ideally you will be based in the Greater Manchester and happy to come into the office a couple of days per week! But we appreciate that things have changed and flexibility is at the top of everyone's agenda, so if you would rather be remote please let us know.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.