Engineering Manager, Platform Infrastructure
Remote or NYC /
Platform Engineering – Platform Infrastructure /
The mission of the Platform Infrastructure team is to envision, create and operate the core platform and frameworks upon which our engineering teams deploy and run our industry-leading digital food ordering apps and services. With Olo's rise as a key player in restaurant e-commerce (you likely have used our services, even if you didn't realize it!), we are exploring new architectural paradigms and approaches to enable our future growth.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Platform Engineering, you will join as one of the first key hires and the leader of the team. You will lead a team that will design, build and codify our next-generation cloud architecture. You will be working alongside product and development teams from various domains to design a foundation that can meet their application needs. At Olo, we value outcomes over output, and seek a leader who can help us understand the broader needs of our product engineering teams and deliver solutions to meet those needs. You will help develop and align the team's vision, guide their execution, remove impediments to the team's progress, and coach them to develop and grow both their skills and impact. You will foster a culture of collaboration, communication, accountability, skill sharing, belonging, mutual respect, and curiosity.
We expect our Engineering Managers to be seasoned engineers with the technical experience to both guide and challenge their teams to build robust, high-performing solutions. As a servant leader, your focus will be on facilitating strong team outcomes, hiring and developing engineering talent, and ensuring that our systems are ready to support emerging business priorities. While your primary focus will not be one of designing and building software, we expect our engineering managers to have a strong software engineering foundation to be able to effectively guide their teams.
This is a full-time position. Candidates may work at Olo’s headquarters in New York City’s Financial District, or remotely from anywhere in the U.S. In fact, more than 75% of our engineering team is remote!
What You'll Be Doing
- As a servant leader, your focus will be on facilitating strong team outcomes
- Recruiting, hiring, and developing a team of highly skilled engineering talent
- Leading the development, deployment, and maintenance of tools built from the ground up in support of self-service, quality, security, and compliance initiatives
- Consulting with engineering teams to help them leverage our platform and tools on which to run their applications
- Collaborating and guiding the design and the development of the platform
- Monitoring and reviewing engineer’s progress related to development goals
- Collaborating with product, architecture, and engineering groups to build a self-service platform that streamlines application developer productivity and throughput
- Provide coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Leveraging our tech stack rooted in .NET (C# and F#) running in an AWS infrastructure and modern software engineering tools such as GitHub, Terraform, Ansible Tower, the HashiCorp suite of tools, Docker and Kubernetes, and Datadog, as well as heavy use of OSS
- Defining, building and maintaining SLIs and SLOs to improve system observability
What We'll Expect From You
- A passion for computing that extends beyond work
- Demonstrated software development experience with a progression to a senior technical level
- Demonstrated management experience under an Agile operational model
- Demonstrated ability to build and mentor a high performance team while seeking continuous improvement
- Ability to translate business priorities into viable technology solutions, and deliver
- Experience in, and good understanding of, large scale, highly performant, distributed systems architecture and principles
- Experience developing realistic project plans, managing stakeholder expectations, and tracking team execution
- Experience instrumenting, deploying, and monitoring production code to enable timely incident detection and response
- Experience with software development and production operations in an always up, always available environment.
- Proficiency with IaC tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Packer, and Vagrant in a cloud environment.
- Experience implementing and supporting a containerization platform with tools such as Docker, Nomad, and Kubernetes.
- Experience managing distributed teams consisting largely of remote engineers
- Strong critical thinking capabilities
What's Important to Olo
- Our families come first. We know they make us who we are and they are who we live and work for every day.
- Olo is our extended family. We’re in this together, fighting for one another. We’re happy to be here. We will not let one another down.
- We learn from and fight through setbacks. We recognize and help one another with direct feedback.
- We care about you. We offer 20 days of paid time off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan.
- We value diversity. At Olo, we know a diverse and inclusive team not only makes our products better, but our workplace better. Many groups are consistently underrepresented across the tech sector and we are fully committed to doing our part to move the needle.
- Learn more about our culture, values, and mission. https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
Olo is committed to the well-being of candidates, employees and our community. The Olo NYC Headquarters will be closed for the foreseeable future because of the global outbreak of COVID-19. While an in-person interview is typical for many roles at Olo, we will conduct interviews via video conferencing while our HQ is closed. Olo benefits from the fact that over half of our workforce is remote, therefore we are accustomed to conducting interviews via video conferencing and we anticipate no impact on our recruiting timelines. We encourage candidates to share any concerns or questions with Olo’s recruiting team.
Olo powers digital ordering and delivery programs that connect restaurant brands to the on-demand world, placing orders directly into the restaurant through all order origination points – from a brand’s own website or app, third party marketplaces, social media platforms, smart speakers, and home assistants. Olo serves as the on-demand ordering and delivery platform for over 300 brands, such as Applebee’s, Checkers & Rally’s, Cheesecake Factory, Chili’s, Dairy Queen, Denny’s, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Jamba Juice, Noodles & Company, Portillo’s Hot Dogs, Shake Shack, sweetgreen, Wingstop, and more. Learn more at www.olo.com.
Olo's headquarters is located on the 82nd floor of One World Trade Center. We offer great benefits, such as 20 days of Paid Time Off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan, and perks like FitBits, rotating craft beers on tap in our kitchen, and food events featuring our clients' menu items (now you know why we give out FitBits!). Check out our culture map:https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
We encourage you to apply!
Olo is an equal opportunity employer and diversity is highly valued at our company. All applicants receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you like what you read, hear, and/or know about Olo, and want to be a part of our team, please do not hesitate to apply! We are excited to hear from you!