Engineering Manager, Data Infrastructure
Remote or NYC /
Platform Engineering – Data Infrastructure /
The Data Infrastructure team at Olo is responsible for defining and building the platform on which our engineering teams will store, process, mine and democratize rich, industry-leading digital food ordering data sets. With Olo's rise as a key player in restaurant e-commerce (you likely have used our services, even if you didn't realize it!), we are exploring new architectural paradigms and approaches to enable our future growth.
Reporting to the Director of Platform Engineering, you will join as one of the first key hires and the leader of the Data Infrastructure team. Your expertise and technical vision will set the stage for what this platform will be. You will be working alongside product and development teams from various domains to design a platform that can meet their data needs and help answer their most critical business questions. As Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of talented engineers in the day-to-day development of new platform services and frameworks. At Olo, we value outcomes over output, and seek a leader who can help us understand the broader needs of our product engineering teams and deliver solutions to meet those needs. You will help develop and align the team's vision, guide their execution, remove impediments to the team's progress, and coach them to develop and grow both their skills and impact. You will foster a culture of collaboration, communication, accountability, skill sharing, belonging, mutual respect, and curiosity.
We expect our Engineering Managers to be seasoned engineers with the technical experience to both guide and challenge their teams to build robust, high-performing solutions. As a servant leader, your focus will be on facilitating strong team outcomes, hiring and developing engineering talent, and ensuring that our systems are ready to support emerging business priorities. While your primary focus will not be one of designing and building software, we expect our engineering managers to have a strong software engineering foundation to be able to effectively guide their teams.
This is a full-time position. Candidates may work at Olo’s headquarters in New York City’s Financial District, or remotely from anywhere in the U.S. In fact, more than 75% of our engineering team is remote!
What You'll Be Doing
- As a servant leader, your focus will be on facilitating strong team outcomes
- Recruiting, hiring, and developing a team of highly skilled engineering talent
- Responsible for ensuring core systems can support the growing data demand of our customers and business priorities
- Collaborating and guiding the design and development of our data platform
- Monitoring and reviewing engineers’ progress related to development goals
- Working in partnership with Product, executive stakeholders, and the greater Engineering teams to deliver results
- Provide coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc.
- Work with our security and privacy teams to ensure we maintain a strong data security and privacy posture. This includes regulatory compliance (PCI, CCPA, GDPR, SOC), encryption, de-identification of PII, defense in depth, zero trust, and more.
- Champion the practice of data democratization, enabling our internal teams to access the right data and get the answers they need.
- Reimagine the way we source, process, contextualize and model our data.
What We'll Expect From You
- A passion for computing that extends beyond work
- At least 8 years of engineering experience with a progression to a senior technical level
- Proven management experience under an Agile operational model
- Demonstrated ability to build and mentor a high performance team while seeking continuous improvement
- Ability to translate business priorities into viable technology solutions, and deliver
- Experience in, and good understanding of, large scale, highly performant, distributed systems architecture and principles
- Experience developing realistic project plans, managing stakeholder expectations, and tracking team execution
- Experience building, delivering and supporting various data-driven services at scale
- Experience managing distributed teams consisting largely of remote engineers
- BS degree in a technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent English writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong critical thinking capabilities
- Legal right to work in the U.S.
What's Important to Olo
- Our families come first. We know they make us who we are and they are who we live and work for every day.
- Olo is our extended family. We’re in this together, fighting for one another. We’re happy to be here. We will not let one another down.
- We learn from and fight through setbacks. We recognize and help one another with direct feedback.
- We care about you. We offer 20 days of paid time off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan.
- We value diversity. At Olo, we know a diverse and inclusive team not only makes our products better, but our workplace better. Many groups are consistently underrepresented across the tech sector and we are fully committed to doing our part to move the needle.
- Learn more about our culture, values, and mission. https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
Olo is committed to the well-being of candidates, employees and our community. The Olo NYC Headquarters will be closed for the foreseeable future because of the global outbreak of COVID-19. While an in-person interview is typical for many roles at Olo, we will conduct interviews via video conferencing while our HQ is closed. Olo benefits from the fact that over half of our workforce is remote, therefore we are accustomed to conducting interviews via video conferencing and we anticipate no impact on our recruiting timelines. We encourage candidates to share any concerns or questions with Olo’s recruiting team.
Olo powers digital ordering and delivery programs that connect restaurant brands to the on-demand world, placing orders directly into the restaurant through all order origination points – from a brand’s own website or app, third party marketplaces, social media platforms, smart speakers, and home assistants. Olo serves as the on-demand ordering and delivery platform for over 300 brands, such as Applebee’s, Checkers & Rally’s, Cheesecake Factory, Chili’s, Dairy Queen, Denny’s, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Jamba Juice, Noodles & Company, Portillo’s Hot Dogs, Shake Shack, sweetgreen, Wingstop, and more. Learn more at www.olo.com.
Olo's headquarters is located on the 82nd floor of One World Trade Center. We offer great benefits, such as 20 days of Paid Time Off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan, and perks like FitBits, rotating craft beers on tap in our kitchen, and food events featuring our clients' menu items (now you know why we give out FitBits!). Check out our culture map:https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
We encourage you to apply!
Olo is an equal opportunity employer and diversity is highly valued at our company. All applicants receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you like what you read, hear, and/or know about Olo, and want to be a part of our team, please do not hesitate to apply! We are excited to hear from you!