Director Engineering Program Management & Delivery
Remote or NYC /
Operations – Operations /
We are looking for a Director for Engineering Program Management & Delivery to help manage and lead the major initiatives within the Engineering organization.
You will work cross-functionally with our engineering and product leaders to help translate our strategy into tactical and detailed road maps that facilitate effective execution. You will work with each engineering team to develop project schedules, identify milestones, flag risks, estimate budgets, and clearly communicate on-going progress. You will facilitate and support time-sensitive key strategic and tactical decisions by framing the decisions appropriately and ensuring that information is complete and clearly communicated. It is your job to ensure that all engineering groups are coordinated, understand their priorities, and are on-track to deliver on our corporate milestones on time and on budget. You will not only have strong people management, but also Engineering process development and implementation in a SaaS and Agile environment.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Program Management, but will work closely with our CTO, SVP Product, SVP Engineering, and the engineering leadership.
The ideal candidate is a professional who is a program or project manager for a company that develops enterprise-class software applications, has led multiple teams, and has experience in managing remote employees and teams.
What You'll Be Doing
- Work with engineering leaders and managers to translate top-down corporate strategy and milestones into detailed product road maps, timelines, and deliverables.
- Work with cross-functional leaders and finance to define and then track resource requirements (headcount and budget).
- Ensure every team understands what they need to deliver at all times.
- Define and manage process and regular meetings.
- Establish standard reports to provide concise and effective communications to key stakeholders on program status, issues/risks, and accomplishments.
- Ensure problems are transparent and risks are identified and proactively ensure that risk mitigating actions are on-going within the engineering teams.
- Set the agenda for key decisions to be made at each meeting to eliminate bottlenecks and retire risks.
- Support key decisions working cross-functionally across engineering, finance, and strategy to reach the right conclusions.
- Lead by example, demonstrating principal-level technical project and program management expertise.
- Structure, kick-off, and run continuous and/or time-bound programs within and beyond the Engineering organization by clarifying priorities, enabling the execution of deliverables, defining program process flows, and providing continuous transparency.
- Program manage various initiatives within and beyond Engineering, across multiple teams, taking a hands-on and proactive approach to unblock progress, introduce efficiencies, and provide workflow solutions.
- Champion Agile best practices within Engineering and Product Management, provide guidance to Scrum Masters.
- Build and maintain alignment across multiple teams for keeping a focus on execution, continuous improvement, and operational excellence.
- Lead the introduction of new processes / workflows, to benefit Engineering teams or cross-organizational initiatives, by bringing proposed solutions to the teams and rolling them out in an iterative manner.
- Anticipate and mitigate risks by having close involvement with teams’ goals and challenges, applying past experience, and keeping in mind the big picture.
- Provide clear and crisp transparency to the status and progress of initiatives.
- Initiate programs by leading alignment on program scope, release planning, aligning one or more teams on vision, business goals, creating program structure, and securing cross-functional support.
- Lead alignment meetings to address tactical release issues, dependencies, team status, production issues, metrics review, and milestones.
- Provide visibility to program status (key decisions, dependencies, issues, risks, metrics, etc.) on an ongoing basis through push status reporting (to all stakeholders, team members, and interested parties).
- Manage "program/feature" dependencies across multiple teams, scrum teams, functions, divisions, and stakeholders.
- Anticipate and aggressively remove obstacles that slow down or prevent project teams from delivering on project goals.
- Provide monthly program reviews and updates at sprint reviews (deep dive into current state of project goals, risks, escalations).
- Create a collaborative environment that fosters creativity, innovation, and learning.
What We'll Expect From You
- Minimum 10 years of technical program management experience in a software, SaaS or systems development environment;
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Experience starting and managing cross-organizational programs.
- Proven change management experience - able to successfully roll-out operational / process changes, addressing feedback, and achieving adoption.
- Experience partnering with Product Management and Engineering teams together to deliver customer-facing and back-end features.
- Excellent verbal and written communication; experience effectively communicating and presenting to teams located across different locations and people ranging from individual team members to C-level executives.
- Strong leadership skills - able to successfully influence without authority.
- Strong technical aptitude/affinity - experience working directly with full-stack, front-end, and back-end engineers.
- Self-starter - able to work well in an ambiguous and constantly changing, fast paced environment.
- Deep familiarity with software development processes.
- Strong track-record in managing complex cross-functional projects.
- An ability to keep the big picture in focus and to provide clear, well-structured, and concise communications tailored to each appropriate audience.
- Success with implementing and managing SaaS product development programs - strong understanding of the SaaS business model and its software development lifecycle.
- Strong understanding of continuous delivery. Knowledge of the principles of “Accelerate” and that DevOps framework for building and scaling.
- Ability to work well as a member of a highly integrated team composed of both technical and non-technical members.
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal, relationship building skills conducive to collaboration; able to work well in a cross-functional, matrix management environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with a history of hands-on, detail orientation.
- Extensive experience with Agile development methodologies & SDLC best practices.
- Extensive knowledge of online tools - Jira, Confluence, Github, and others.
- Legally able to work in the U.S.
What's Important to Olo
- Our families come first. We know they make us who we are and they are who we live and work for every day.
- Olo is our extended family. We’re in this together, fighting for one another. We’re happy to be here. We will not let one another down.
- We learn from and fight through setbacks. We recognize and help one another with direct feedback.
- We care about you. We offer 20 days of paid time off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan.
- We value diversity. At Olo, we know a diverse and inclusive team not only makes our products better, but our workplace better. Many groups are consistently underrepresented across the tech sector and we are fully committed to doing our part to move the needle.
- Learn more about our culture, values, and mission. https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
Olo is committed to the well-being of candidates, employees and our community. The Olo NYC Headquarters will be closed for the foreseeable future because of the global outbreak of COVID-19. While an in-person interview is typical for many roles at Olo, we will conduct interviews via video conferencing while our HQ is closed. Olo benefits from the fact that over half of our workforce is remote, therefore we are accustomed to conducting interviews via video conferencing and we anticipate no impact on our recruiting timelines. We encourage candidates to share any concerns or questions with Olo’s recruiting team.
Olo powers digital ordering and delivery programs that connect restaurant brands to the on-demand world, placing orders directly into the restaurant through all order origination points – from a brand’s own website or app, third party marketplaces, social media platforms, smart speakers, and home assistants. Olo serves as the on-demand ordering and delivery platform for over 300 brands, such as Applebee’s, Checkers & Rally’s, Cheesecake Factory, Chili’s, Dairy Queen, Denny’s, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Jamba Juice, Noodles & Company, Portillo’s Hot Dogs, Shake Shack, sweetgreen, Wingstop, and more. Learn more at www.olo.com.
Olo's headquarters is located on the 82nd floor of One World Trade Center. We offer great benefits, such as 20 days of Paid Time Off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan, and perks like FitBits, rotating craft beers on tap in our kitchen, and food events featuring our clients' menu items (now you know why we give out FitBits!). Check out our culture map:https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
We encourage you to apply!
Olo is an equal opportunity employer and diversity is highly valued at our company. All applicants receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you like what you read, hear, and/or know about Olo, and want to be a part of our team, please do not hesitate to apply! We are excited to hear from you!