Senior Software Engineer
Remote or Bay Area /
Engineering – Backend /
Our mission at OmniSci is to make analytics instant, powerful, and effortless for everyone. The OmniSci platform is used in business and government to find insights in data beyond the limits of mainstream analytics tools. Harnessing the massive parallelism of modern CPU and GPU hardware, the platform is available in the cloud and on-premise. OmniSci originated from research at Harvard and MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL). Now, our platform is transforming the way enterprises and governments make decisions by allowing them to interactively query, visualize, and power data science workflows over billions of records.
We are seeking an experienced software engineer to add to our query engine development team. You will join an elite group of engineers building a cutting-edge query engine scaling to billions of rows, hundreds of teraflops of compute, terabytes of memory, and dozens of GPUs. Your primary responsibility will be to deliver new features, tackle bug reports, and build on existing enhancements by writing high quality, standards compliant, unit tested C++ code. You should have solid C++ development skills (experience with the latest standards is a plus) and a proven track record for building data analytics systems at scale. Knowledge of databases, systems level programming (threading, memory hierarchies, etc), compilers, or GPGPU computing is helpful, but demonstrable experience shipping data analytics software is required. You will have the opportunity to work as an individual contributor, mentor engineers in your team, work with product management and field engineering to solve customer problems, and deliver features that directly impact hundreds of users across a diverse group of customers.
Building production quality data systems deployed at scale is demanding. Your success in this role will be predicated on your ability to prioritize your work, be self-motivated and a self-starter, to speak up early and often, and to work well with others. You should be passionate about building software at scale and possess an intrinsic curiosity for all things computing. This is an individual contributor role and reports to an Engineering Senior Director.
- MS or higher degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrable track record of delivering systems at scale (preferably with a large, active user base).
- Experience with and working knowledge of common C++ development stacks. We use git, Jenkins, and Linux and our engineers manage and configure their own development environments.
- A passion for tinkering with, understanding, designing, and building complex systems.
- C++ programming experience is required. This role expects you to spend the majority of your time writing C++ code.
- Excellent design, debugging, and problem-solving skills.
- Deep understanding of systems level programming, including (but not limited to) threading, memory hierarchy, data structures, debuggers (gdb), servers/services, and networking.
- Understanding of full stack data analytics products. OmniSciDB is built hand-in-hand with OmniSci Immerse, a web-based visualization and data analytics tool. The DB is also used to accelerate other platforms (e.g. Tableau).
- Ability to work independently, with a team, or as team lead.
- Prior experience as a lead developer on a complex piece of software.
- Experience with GPGPU programming (CUDA).
- Participation in data analytics open source projects (we use Apache Calcite and Apache Arrow in our product).
- Understanding of just-in-time compilation architecture and/or experience with LLVM.
Since launching our product in 2016, OmniSci has been recognized as a Gartner Cool Vendor, a Top Ten Coolest Big Data Startups by CRN, and is experiencing explosive growth in users and customers. The company is backed by leading VCs and strategic investors, including NEA, Nvidia, GV (Google), In-Q-Tel, Tiger Global Management, Verizon Ventures and Vanedge Capital.
Unsolicited Resumes: OmniSci will not pay a fee to any employment agency or third party for the referral of candidates for this, or any, open position unless the agency or third party has signed a formal agreement by an authorized member of our Executive team or the Human Resources department. Unsolicited resumes from employment agencies or third parties of any kind will become the property of OmniSci and will be considered gratuitous, no-fee referrals.
OmniSci is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.