Senior Software Engineer
About On Deck
On Deck is the #1 place globally for people starting something new.
There is an age old saying: "Talent is distributed equally worldwide, access is not" – we are changing this.
You can think of us as Silicon Valley in the Cloud, or if a digitally native Stanford would be built in 2020.
Until now, 99% of On Deck was built and held together through no-code tools. We are now reaching the limits of what is possible through these third-party platforms and start to build in-house products.
On a positive note: This means that every feature you build already has proven market need and fit. You can focus on bringing it to the next level and it will be used by hundreds of people instantly.
You will join as one of the first full-time engineers, help define the early product, work with autonomy, network with the most talented people globally, and ride the momentum as the company scales.
For the right person this can be a career defining role with extensive network – and we hire internationally but prefer candidates applying from regions between US Westcoast and Eastern European timezones (incl. LatAm and Africa)
Who you are:
- Establish best-practices for a quickly growing codebase.
- Ship products and MVPs at fast pace.
- Enable the operation teams to run their own MVPs.
- Help to lead, hire, and manage a team of developers.
- Own parts of the product roadmap and its implementation.
In a nutshell: Your job will be to create the best network and education tooling for the founders of new companies and their investors.
- A strong full-stack engineer.
- Got professional experience with Node, React, Postgres, GraphQL and able to establish best practices in mid-to-large sized application codebases.
- Experience building and managing products from 0-1 that scale to thousands of users.
- If you've built products that serve founders/startups as their customer, even better.
- Demonstrates a track record of 3+ years in challenging engineering roles within startups.
- Able to make trade-offs between long-term architecture needs and short-term launches.
- Able to decide what aspects of products need to be perfected and when to cut corners to ship faster.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, often scrappy, sometimes chaotic environment.
Why you might be excited about us:
- We’re tackling a big problem that has impact worldwide.
- Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule.
- You'll have a lot of flexibility in your role ("create your own role")
- You will be able to help define our product going forward.
- You will be able to network with some of the best talent worldwide.
- This might be the ideal jump-pad for people who have ambitions of starting their own company down the road.
- We're backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Marc Andreessen, Keith Rabois, Chris Dixon, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. (Read more about our fundraise and 50-year vision here.)
Why you might *not* be excited about us:
- We're small (~70 people in the company now), so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You'll help create our company's culture.
- We're an early stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.
What you get:
This is a senior level role, with a competitive salary, stock options, and a share of carried interest in On Deck's "Runway program" and future investing initiatives, plus employee benefits including generous healthcare.
Location, start date and compensation:
Our team works remotely, but generally follows U.S. PST-friendly hours.
Due to meeting times this role is primarily open to candidates in USA West Coast <-> Eastern Europe (incl LATAM and EMEA).
You would start as soon as possible.