Operations – Operations /
Operations / Remote / Internship
TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage startup seeking Operations Intern. In doing so, we’ll empower the most ambitious people in the world to build the future.
About On Deck
On Deck is where top talent comes to accelerate their ideas and careers, surrounded by a world-class community.
Our vision is to build Silicon Valley for the Internet — an ambitious, new form of community-centric “venture company” that will unlock generations of talent, to help solve the world’s biggest problems.
We build communities that help people start and scale companies, help people join companies, and help people at companies succeed at their jobs.
So far, we've built an ecosystem of ~10,000 founders, operators, investors and domain experts. On Deck fellows have collectively founded 1,000+ startups and raised $1B+ from top-tier investors worldwide (e.g. a16z, Sequoia).
This is all enabled by our talented team of 250+ from all across the world. Read more about how we row together to help you decide whether On Deck is a place you’d like to spend your time.
About the team
In your role, you’ll work directly with our Head of Operations, Joe Penn, to tackle a critical cross-section of operations initiatives from around the company.
About the role
Punchline: We're looking for an all-star operations intern to assist in scaling On Deck’s company operations. You think of yourself as a future COO, and you’re excited about gaining hands-on company-building experience.
We’re looking for a force of nature; someone who will do whatever it takes — both strategically & tactically — to make a massive positive impact on the company, our team, and our community of fellows.
This is an incredibly exciting role, with lots of opportunities to learn, get your hands dirty, and take on 0→1 responsibility from Day One.
The team is growing extremely fast, so you'll get an inside seat at a company in hypergrowth.
What you'll be doing:
- Leading new processes and ideas for internal communications.
- Assisting with company-wide All Hands.
- Planning and executing internal events, trainings, and socials.
- Engaging with our finance and data team to provide recommendations for business strategy planning.
- Supporting hiring sprints for key roles.
- Finding gaps within the organization, strategizing how to fill them, and executing fairly autonomously.
What we're looking for:
- High output, execution, and hustle – an ability to own operations, and an eagerness to dive into the nitty-gritty
- Passionate about startups & constantly learning about tech.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, often scrappy, sometimes chaotic environment.
- Natural community-builder – understands the long-game, and how to cultivate positive-sum value.
- Has a strong "spirit of service", where you think first how you can give rather than take, and always seeking opportunities to support our team and community to the max of your ability.
- Serious about inclusion and creating a safe & welcoming space for all members of our community.
- Meticulously detail-oriented and organized – able to juggle many priorities while not dropping any balls.
- Great interpersonal skills, charisma, and enjoys building new relationships.
- Strong communication skills - verbal, written and presentation.
- Our team lives and breathes Slack & Zoom — our fellowships' central gathering places are a highly active Slack community & a lively calendar of Zoom events. We're looking for team members who are comfortable with both tools or can ramp up quickly. Other tools you should be familiar with or ready to ramp up on include Notion, Zapier and Airtable.
Why you might be excited about On Deck:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. We plan to build the modern educational institution for the next 100 years.
- Read our Wall of Love and our Alumni Case Studies to get a sense of why people love being part of this community.
- Last year we raised our Series A from Keith Rabois at Founders Fund and nearly 200 of the best operators and investors (including many of our community members).
- We also recently announced our $100M community-backed fund to support our accelerator ODX.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
Why you might *not* be excited about us:
- We are still a fairly young company so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you.
- We're an early stage startup. Projects and priorities may shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.
If you were to join On Deck, we'd want you to love it. We also know that it can be hard to tell from the outside looking in whether that would be the case for you. So, we challenged ourselves to develop our Non-Values, an honest set of reasons someone wouldn't want to join our company. We hope it helps you make an informed decision about whether On Deck is a place you'd love to work.
Please note this role is only open to candidates that are legally authorized to work where they reside. Due to the remote nature of the role, On Deck does not currently sponsor candidates for visas or work authorizations/permits and does not currently support the transfer of visas or work authorizations/permits from prior employers to On Deck.
This is a paid internship!
On Deck is a remote, distributed team. This role is totally remote but may require travel for IRL meetings and events.
We are excited about candidates globally; however, please note that our team works during U.S. friendly working hours.
Equal Opportunity Employer
On Deck is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We strongly encourage applications who are members of underrepresented communities to apply.