Senior Data Scientist, Wind Modeling
Data Science /
About One Concern
One Concern brings disaster science together with machine learning for better decision-making. We quantify resilience from catastrophic perils, empowering leaders to measure, mitigate, and transfer risk. We believe that by pioneering cutting-edge science, we can make disasters less disastrous and, ultimately, build planetary-scale resilience.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for a passionate, mission-driven Senior Data Scientist, Wind Modeling to join our team.
What You’ll Do
- Calibrate and validate flood prediction pipeline in deployment regions
- Evaluate model predictions and quantify uncertainties between observed and predicted outcomes using statistical and GIS tools
- Suggest, research and implement improvements of model calibration and validation process, including automation of calibration and validation process for scalable and speedy deployment
- Collect, analyze and efficiently manage a wide variety of structured and unstructured data (such as river gauge, damage and loss data) used in the development and validation of catastrophe models
- Provide support on ad-hoc analysis and reports
- Research on inclusion of wind modeling into existing product, including modeling hurricane wind field based on hurricane tracks, modeling hurricane induced rainfall field
Qualifications & Experience
- 2+ years of experience in the area of wind modeling and/or flood modeling 1+ year experience in quantitative analytics and/or statistics
- Flexible to work on flood modeling as well as wind modeling
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to develop innovative products for our customers
- Experience with scientific computing in an interpreted language (e.g. Python) is a plus
Nice to Haves
- Experience in storm surge modeling, wind modeling
- Experience modeling the inundation pattern of hurricanes
- Experience in calibrating and validating large scale flood pipeline, and flood risk modeling
- Experience in Parallel programming in GPU and cloud computing
- Understanding of MySQL, Postgres, relational databases etc.
Compensation will be competitive with market for this position and will include equity consideration.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, natural origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.