Data Scientist, Machine Learning
Menlo Park /
Data Science /
One Concern is a startup which specializes in Artificial Intelligence for Natural Disasters. With our team of global disaster scientists and engineers, we have developed a platform that helps emergency responders prepare for and make the most critical decisions during the first moments of a crisis, with the main goal of saving lives.
We are looking for creative data scientists that have built machine learning pipelines from inception to maintenance. You should have experience with collecting and cleaning data, feature engineering, building scalable machine learning algorithms and constantly improving them over time.
We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
- PhD (preferred) or Master’s degree in Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
- At least 2+ years experience in the industry
- Strong background of machine learning, deep learning, statistics and quantitative analytics
- Advanced experience with Python (preferred), or R, C/C++, Java
- Deep understanding of MySQL, Postgres, Redshift, relational databases etc.
- Experience working on social issues and/or government projects a big plus
- Domain knowledge in earthquakes or flooding, a plus
- Experience with AWS and big data technologies such as hive, hadoop, spark etc.
- Worked on geospatial datasets
Good to have:
What you will do:
- Build and improve existing machine learning models
- Work with and support domain experts and data scientists in different hazard products
- Demonstrate up-to-date machine learning skills and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Assess the potential usefulness and validity of new statistical approaches and data sources.
- Identify key problems in prediction models and propose innovative solutions
- Formulate your own problems as the problem might not always be defined for you
- Work with cross-functional partners across the business
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Beautiful location at the heart of Palo Alto
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours