Menlo Park /
One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to save lives and livelihoods before, during, and after disasters. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for passionate, motivated, and high-reaching engineers to join our team. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
As a Systems Architect, you provide strategic architecture leadership to project architects and your product partners on large and complex projects. You understand the business imperatives tied to these strategic projects. You provide technology leadership and are the technical expert on strategic projects, drive the release strategy and guide the delivery of strategic projects aligned to business strategy on innovative resilience solutions, powerful risk management and marketing tools. You maintain awareness of dependencies between projects and delivery vision, while ensuring engineering excellence. You build the strategy for your teams to architect, design and deliver the next generation of SaaS solutions.
Success in this role requires the ability to work effectively at multiple levels ranging from working and white boarding with senior developers to presenting and collaborating with senior executives and stakeholders. This means that you need to be comfortable and effective communicating in many different ways and be able to push things along by building trust and credibility with the team.
- Develop an architecture vision and roadmap for the One Concern platform
- Lead critical platform infrastructure engineering efforts by analyzing and translating business information and technical requirements into an architectural blueprint that outlines solutions to achieve business objectives
- Analyze the current architecture to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for continuous improvement such as improving business processes, expanding capacity, reducing cost and increasing effectiveness
- Drive the architecture for key cross team / cross product development projects (via architecture/design documents and developing code key modules).
- Create high quality, working Prototypes and POCs to be used by development teams for validating new feature sets and/or validating 3rd party technologies
- Apply architecture best practices that helps increase execution velocity.
- Develop architectures that are inherently secure, robust, scalable, modular, API-centric and global.
- Influence technology selection for the enterprise.
- Partner with Product managers to design applications to support the Product roadmap.
- Leading, coaching and developing a team of software developers, developing best in class systems and processes for producing high quality software that is aligned with key architecture principles and choices.
- 7+ years experience in all phases of software development life cycles in a web-based SaaS environment with a solid understanding of practical application of Agile Development methods and leading software development teams in Agile environment
- Proven knowledge of successful design, architecture and development with large data volumes
- Strong knowledge of scaling relational databases - PostgreSQL
- Experience with nosql databases and nosql extensions in Postgres
- Extensive cloud experience (AWS/GCP)
- Experience interacting and working alongside data scientists
- Extensive cloud experience
- Proven leadership experience in providing innovative technical roadmaps.
- Must be available to work on-site
- Postgres and Postgis
- Google Cloud Platform (incl. Pub Sub)
Bonus Points If You Have
- Hands-on experience with continuous delivery and DevOps experience - infrastructure automation, monitoring, logging, auditing and security implementation and practices (e.g., Kubernetes, Docker,)
- Solid engineering foundation indicated by a demonstrated understanding of product design of web-based enterprise platforms
- Prior experience and familiarity with emerging open source technologies
- Strong leadership, critical thinking and analysis, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with graph databases like Neo4J
- Fluency in PostGIS
- Experience working on systems that involve geospatial mapping
- Great business acumen with a passion to solve for the customer
- Experience in an agile environment
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
Perks & Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.