Data Scientist, Machine Learning (Resilience)
Menlo Park /
Data Science /
One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations, and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for a Data Scientist, Machine Learning to join our Resilience team. In your role, you will build a global-scale resilience model to predict the societal and economic impact and recovery of the built environment against disasters.
- Build a global-scale resilience model to predict the societal and economic impact and recovery of the built environment against disasters
- Build and improve existing machine learning models
- Technical lead and main ML person on the resilience model development
- Work with and support domain experts and data scientists in different hazard products
- Demonstrate up-to-date machine learning skills and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Assess the potential usefulness and validity of new statistical approaches and data sources.
- Identify key problems in prediction models and propose innovative solutions
- Formulate your own problems as the problem might not always be defined for you
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Must be available to work on-site when One Concern's office re-opens, currently projected for 2021
- Ph.D. (preferred) or Master’s degree in Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
- Strong background of machine learning, deep learning, statistics, and quantitative analytics
- Ph. D. + 2 years or MS + 5 years of related experience in hands-on model development
- Seeking very experienced candidates with a specialty in computer vision or network/graph analyses.
- Advanced experience with Python (preferred), or R, C/C++, Java
- Deep understanding of MySQL, Postgres, Redshift, relational databases, etc.
Nice to have
- Experience working on social issues and/or government projects
- Domain knowledge of natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, tropical cyclones, etc.
- Experience in supply-chain modeling, casualty modeling, or a large-scale stochastic simulation
- Worked on geospatial datasets
- Strong publication record
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily catered lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours