Staff Frontend Engineer
Menlo Park /
One Concern brings disaster science together with machine learning for better decision-making. We quantify resilience from catastrophic perils, empowering leaders to measure, mitigate, and transfer risk so disasters aren’t so disastrous.
At One Concern, we believe an informed world is an inherently fairer one. Because incomplete information leads to false assumptions and poor decisions. That’s how cities are built in the wrong places, businesses are left inoperable after the shocks of natural hazards, and vulnerable people in communities are left paying the price. We believe we can change this. We believe that by pioneering cutting-edge science, we can make disasters less disastrous. And ultimately, realize planetary-scale resilience.
Fostering global resilience starts with our team, and as a member of our engineering team you will be at the core of it. One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for passionate, motivated, and ambitious engineers to join our team. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can support geographies in the order of 100,000 people and in the order of 100 million.
We are looking for senior front end engineers who have developed interactive customer facing products from concept to launch. You will be working on mission critical projects, helping build world class user experiences that are snappy and responsive.
- 7+ years of frontend engineering experience
- 3+ years of recent experience building web interfaces
- Built web applications using a structured framework (i.e. React, Vue, Angular Backbone, Ember, etc.)
- Experience benchmarking and improving website performance
- Proficient knowledge of cross-browser and cross-platform web development
- An understanding of responsive design and how to leverage CSS3 and media queries to effect responsive designs
- Experienced usage of automated integration testing using tools like Cucumber, Selenium
- Experience unit testing with mock objects
- Ability to convert a design document into a working service with no loss in fidelity
- Shipped sizeable features or products in current/previous job roles
- Participate in mentoring
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Must be available to work on-site when One Concern's office re-opens, currently projected for 2021
Nice to Have
- Experience in tracking conversion and usability metrics in web flows
- Experience with web build tools (like webpack, parcel, browserify etc.) and dealing with their quirks
- Familiarity with state management tools (like redux, mobx etc) and have shipped products using them
- Experience with server-side technologies like NodeJS, Ruby and PHP ( NOT Necessary)
- Experience with any Map frameworks Ex: MapboxGL JS or Google Maps
- Experience working with GraphQL (ideally with popular graphQL clients like relay or apollo etc) and designing APIs for it
- Experience building products that handle large data visualization
- Familiarity with at least one modern programming language such as Ruby, Java, C# or Python etc.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Familiarity with web security, accessibility and internationalization
- B.S/M.S in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites and weekly happy hours
- Flexible working hours