Director of Communications
About One Concern
One Concern brings disaster science together with machine learning for better decision-making. We quantify resilience from catastrophic perils, empowering leaders to measure, mitigate, and transfer risk. We believe that by pioneering cutting-edge science, we can make disasters less disastrous and, ultimately, build planetary-scale resilience.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for a passionate, mission-driven Director of Communications to join our team.
You'll drive One Concern’s global communications and media strategy as we scale our business into new products and markets. The role requires a deep understanding of global media relations, corporate, partnership, public affairs, and crisis communications as well as a keen focus on storytelling and thought leadership. The mandate is broad - the role will focus on projects that span internal, external, and client communications with a relentless focus on communicating complex technology and ideas to the marketplace. We are building a brand new segment of the market and this role is crucial to our success.
The ideal candidate is a strong writer and editor, comfortable in mediums from white papers to blog posts, who can consider and synthesize many inputs to create shippable content quickly. The individual can navigate a fast-paced, high-growth environment with a relentless focus on getting things done. This role is highly visible, and will work closely with One Concern’s C-suite.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and lead global communications strategies, including PR/media relations, thought leadership, written content, and digital media
- Serve as the go-to communications resource and liaison for global team members and PR agencies in existing markets, including Japan and the U.S.
- Oversee and manage communications launch plans and execution from start to finish in new markets and regions
- Serve as our primary point of contact and spokesperson for local, national, and international press
- Develop and implement strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged technology workforce
- Manage our external PR agency
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent Combination of agency and in-house experience
- 10+ years’ relevant experience
- Extensive list of media contacts
- Awareness of and proficiency with communications technologies
- Clear and concise communication with team members and senior management
- We’re a small but mighty team so you need to be a high-impact player
- A world-class communicator, both written and spoken
- A storyteller, creative thinker and a visionary, who understands complex technical concepts and how to communicate them.
- You have significant experience securing strong media coverage and relationships with national and/or international media outlets, as well as significant on the record experience
- You have significant prior experience in institutional communications, ideally within one or more of a public relations firm, a highly-regulated industry, and/or politics
- You thrive writing and synthesizing complex materials and communicating highly technical information in a manner easily understood by broad audiences and constituencies
- You are organized and efficient with an ability to work independently, prioritize and follow through in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- You enjoy working with and learning from colleagues across a wide range of cultural, experiential, and professional backgrounds
- You have the resourcefulness and resilience to thrive in novel, uncertain and constantly-changing business and political environments
Nice to Haves
- Fluency or competency in Japanese or experience in Japan
- Previous experience in category creation
Compensation will be competitive with market for this position and will include equity consideration.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, natural origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.