Distributed Systems Architect
San Mateo, California
OneSignal is seeking an experienced Systems architect that will continue to enhance our highly available, scalable system architecture to support our growth of more than 5 billion notifications per day.
Our 750,000+ developers using the product send more than 5 billion notifications per day, and that number continues to grow quickly. Our clients love what we’ve built so far, and we’re excited to work on scaling the product the support more than 10x the number of daily notifications.
As a systems architect, you’ll be working on improving and extending our core infrastructure API’s, infrastructure to help scale our product to support 10X the current capacity as well as architect a number of new features in the product that will allow our customers to leverage our notification system in new powerful ways. Our primary language is Rust, and while the language is not required, we’re looking for someone with multiple years of experience in a statically typed language.
What you'll do:
- Architecting new solutions to support high growth, scale and availability
- Reviewing system infrastructure, and proposing efficient scalable solutions
- Designing/implementing services that give users greater power and flexibility
- Benchmarking performance, and productionizing development efforts
- Writing code, scaffolding and working with a team to achieve your architecture vision
- Documenting detailed technical architecture
- Evangelizing design patterns, and great development techniques
Skills and experience:
- 6+ years of experience writing software
- 2+ years of experience working with distributed systems
- Strong technical writer
- Experience writing with a statically typed language such as Rust, Java, C++, etc.
- Experience with infrastructure and capacity planning
- Solid understanding of web service architecture. To be less ambiguous, we are looking for knowledge of the following systems and how they fit together: http clients, DNS, load balancers, reverse proxies, CDNs, application servers (ex. Rails), databases, and caches.
- Open to learning and writing Rust
- Understanding of how multiplexed I/O works
- Friendliness and empathy
- Proficiency in written and oral communications
- Ability to collaborate well on a team
- Can deliver solutions independently as well
- Love of learning
Preferred skills and experience:
- Experience writing Kafka consumer and streaming applications
- Proficiency with administering Linux systems and applications
- Again, these are nice-to-haves. Even if you don't know them, we hope you are interested in learning them!
- Salary: $140k - $210k
- Equity: 0.1% - 0.4%
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on 'protected categories,' we also strive to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at OneSignal.