Director of Applied Science (Machine Learning and Computer Vision)
Technology – Research /
Onfido is the new identity standard for the internet. That means we only need an image of your ID and a selfie to prove that you’re you. In doing so, we help millions of people connect to the services they need and love more easily, speedily and safely than ever before, whether it’s renting a car or opening a bank account. Our vision is to create an open world where identity is the key to access.
We've received over $200 million in funding from world-class tech investors including TPG Growth, Microsoft, Salesforce to back our vision. And we're just getting started.
At Onfido, our AI scientists build the world’s most secure digital onboarding system used by thousands of businesses globally as the next generation of digital identity. We are looking for an exciting and dynamic leader who can lead our amazing team of AI scientists to push the envelope on several unsolved problems like uncertainty modelling, interpretable AI, protection against adversarial and Deep Fake attacks, differential privacy, bias mitigation, and generalised concept drift detectors within human-in-the-loop systems in service to our identity verification and digital identity products.
As a senior AI leader, you will support Onfido’s hyper-growth and passionately deliver real world value using state-of-the-art machine learning and computer vision techniques. We build fraud detection systems that operate at unprecedented performance levels with error rates of less than 1 in a million (99.9999% performance levels) while protecting against unknown unknowns? We detect thousands of fraud attacks daily in over a dozen industry verticals from banking to gaming to the crypto-world to shared economies and others. As businesses and services go online or maintain a purely online presence, secure, fast and reliable digital on-boarding is a necessary and enabling need.
At Onfido, we believe that identity is the key to access and therefore we are building the world’s most sophisticated identity verification system.
What you will be doing:
- Be responsible for identifying customer needs and building products and services to meet those needs.
- Build and develop the Applied Science team
- Oversee and define the strategies, priorities and allocate resources to execute for delivery
- Demonstrate ability to drive complex initiatives and deliver results in collaboration with engineering and product teams
- Liaise and communicate high-level concepts effectively to internal and external stakeholders
- Have strong executive presentation skills as well as strong written, communication and interpersonal skills
- Have a track record of engaging with the academic community on CV and ML problems
- Execute on submitting papers to top international conferences, grant writing and patent filing
Essential Skills and Requirements:
- PhD or MSc degree in Machine Learning, Computer Vision or a related quantitative field.
- Have an in-depth understanding of the technical and scientific issues
- Extensive professional experience in building real world machine learning and computer vision applications.
- Track record of successfully delivering high performance ML-driven products.
- Have previously lead a team of machine learning specialists, working collaboratively with engineering and product management.
- Successfully mentored people and teams to achieve their full potential.
- Worked with customers to impactfully solve their problems.
- Deep understanding of machine learning theory.
- Good coding skills in Python (C++ is considered a plus) and hands on experience using at least one of the deep learning frameworks Tensorflow or PyTorch.
Desirable Skills and Requirements:
- Technical experience in uncertainty modelling, explainable machine learning techniques, out-of-distribution detection, life-long learning, system design, interpretable AI and related fields.
- Technical experience with conventional (non-DL) computer vision, signal processing and image processing techniques.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing (preferably AWS) and tools and technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, Git, etc.
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- Share options in Onfido, through our equity schemes. Share options have a one year cliff and start vesting after probation over a four year period*
- 25 days holiday
- Two paid volunteering days per year.*
- Bupa Private Medical and Dental Insurance*
- Life Assurance (3x Annual Base Salary)*
- Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 4% of base salary)*
- Generous paid parental leave
- Free mental health coaching provided online.
- Life enrichment allowance of up to £80 per month to use for services including gym, yoga, fitness classes, massages, childcare and therapy.
- Dedicated learning opportunities including language classes (currently Spanish, French and English), a team training budget for training and conferences
- Our open and transparent culture is reflected in our “Better Together” motto and we bring this to life by meeting once a week for our global weekly roundup (OnFriday); holding quarterly team socials; with our annual company launch week where we all gather from across the globe in London to regroup for the year ahead.
Check out Life at Onfido via our LinkedIn Careers Page!
Please note: Onfidoers are all working from home for the time being. We also have switched to a virtual recruitment process and all our Newfidos will be onboarding remotely. Stay Safe!
Onfido is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We're always on the lookout for talented, passionate people and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.