Senior Applied Scientist (Computer Vision / Machine Learning)
Technology – Research /
Onfido is the new identity standard for the internet. That means we only need an image of your ID and a selfie to prove that you’re you. In doing so, we help millions of people connect to the services they need and love more easily, speedily and safely than ever before, whether it’s renting a car or opening a bank account. Our vision is to create an open world where identity is the key to access.
We've received over $200 million in funding from world-class tech investors including TPG Growth, Microsoft, Salesforce to back our vision. And we're just getting started.
Do you want to build the world’s most sophisticated fraud detection system operating at unprecedented performance levels with error rates of less than 1 in a million (99.9999% performance levels)? Do you want to create state-of-the-art AI solutions to solve some of the most challenging real-world problems in identity verification? Do you want to build the future of digital identity? At Onfido, our AI scientists build the world’s most secure digital onboarding system used by thousands of businesses globally and the next generation of digital identity. At Onfido, our AI technologies detect thousands of fraud attacks daily in over a dozen industry verticals from banking to gaming to the crypto-world to shared economies and others.
Are you passionate about solving problems in the areas of data efficient ML, uncertainty modeling in neural networks, confidence models, explainable AI, data modeling, domain adaptation, differential privacy and anonymization, lifelong learning, protecting against adversarial attacks, bias mitigation, mobile device noise modeling, human computer interactions and more as applied to mission critical applications in the real world? Are you ready to go beyond building ML models to fundamentally exploring all aspects of the system building from data acquisition to algorithms to data fusion? If so, contact us.
At Onfido we are looking for an exciting and dynamic AI expert who can push the envelope on unsolved problems like uncertainty modelling, interpretable AI, protection against adversarial and Deep Fake attacks, and generalised concept drift detectors within human-in-the-loop systems and deliver real world solutions that work at scale. As a senior AI leader, you will support Onfido’s hyper-growth and passionately deliver real world value using state-of-the-art machine learning and computer vision techniques.
Onfido is one of the most exciting AI companies in London with over 200 million dollars raised through investments from Microsoft, Salesforce, and TPG. Our technology is winning awards, Juniper Research’s Future Digital Awards named Onfido as its Best AI Platform. The awards celebrate the latest innovations in FinTech, blockchain and banking, with other winners including IBM, Stripe and Adyen. We were also listed for the second year running in the RegTech 100 and CBInsights FinTech 250, which ranks the most promising FinTech companies globally.
What you will be doing:
- Initiate, plan and drive projects that will bring the next generation of digital onboarding products to the real world that can withstand the most aggressive and determined fraud attacks.
- Design and build high performance end to end systems spanning all parts of the identity verification application from data acquisition, data processing, and post processing.
- Mentor and work with junior scientists to research and deliver innovative technologies that utilize every bit of signal in the data.
- Participate in hands-on machine learning research and deliver the results of the research in the form of new products.
- Communicate technical vision and roadmap at multiple levels within the organisation and externally. Manage multiple levels of stakeholders (product team, machine learning team, clients)
- Be an external ambassador for Onfido providing thought leadership across the industry in area of expertise
- Publish research results in national and international conferences and scientific journals. Represent Onfido at national and international scientific conferences.
- Contribute to writing grant proposals and filing patents.
- PhD or MSc degree in Machine Learning, Computer Vision or a related quantitative field.
- Extensive experience in machine learning and computer vision, including industry experience deploying ML models to production.
- Track record of successfully delivering high performance ML-driven products.
- Successfully mentored people and teams to achieve their full potential.
- Worked with customers to impactfully solve their problems.
- Deep understanding of machine learning theory.
- Good coding skills in Python (C++ is considered a plus) and hands on experience using at least one of the deep learning frameworks Tensorflow or PyTorch.
- Technical experience in uncertainty modelling, explainable machine learning techniques, out-of-distribution detection, life-long learning and related fields.
- Technical experience with conventional (non-DL) computer vision, signal processing and image processing techniques.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing (preferably AWS) and tools and technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, Git, etc.
About your values and behaviours:
To be a great fit at Onfido, we look for individuals who share our values. We have over 35 nationalities in our growing team, making this an exciting and culturally enriching place to work.
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- Share options in Onfido, through our equity schemes. Share options have a one year cliff and start vesting after probation over a four year period*
- 25 days holiday
- Two paid volunteering days per year.*
- Bupa Private Medical and Dental Insurance*
- Life Assurance (3x Annual Base Salary)*
- Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 4% of base salary)*
- Generous paid parental leave
- Free mental health coaching provided online.
- Life enrichment allowance of up to £80 per month to use for services including gym, yoga, fitness classes, massages, childcare and therapy.
- Dedicated learning opportunities including language classes (currently Spanish, French and English), a team training budget for training and conferences
- Our open and transparent culture is reflected in our “Better Together” motto and we bring this to life by meeting once a week for our global weekly roundup (OnFriday); holding quarterly team socials; with our annual company launch week where we all gather from across the globe in London to regroup for the year ahead.
Check out Life at Onfido via our LinkedIn Careers Page!
Please note: Onfidoers are all working from home for the time being. We also have switched to a virtual recruitment process and all our Newfidos will be onboarding remotely. Stay Safe!
Onfido is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We're always on the lookout for talented, passionate people and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.