SF / Bay Area /
Opaque Systems is a data privacy startup born out of UC Berkeley. Our founding team comprises leading computer science professors and graduate students in security and systems, who also have extensive prior entrepreneurship experience (Databricks, PreVeil). The company raised a $9.5M Series Seed from Intel Capital, Race Capital, The House Fund, and FactoryHQ.
Our mission is to unlock the potential of confidential data that is currently locked down due to privacy concerns. To make confidential data useful without compromising on privacy, we’re building a next generation platform to drive secure analytics and machine learning directly on encrypted data. Our platform is powered by cutting-edge technology that builds upon years of published research and commercializes the MC² Project.
We’re looking for people who:
∙ Will help us set and maintain a high-performance and inclusive culture
∙ Share our passion for consumer and data privacy, and our vision for disrupting big data analytics with confidential computing
∙ Are self-starters — those with detail and quality-oriented approaches who want to make impact and who will help shape the company.
About the role
As an early and critical member of the Opaque team, you will help foster an active and thriving community around Opaque’s open source. You will inspire and equip a global network of developers, data scientists, and early users who will help build the future of secure data analytics. You will also work with product engineering teams to improve Opaque's product by conveying feedback from developers, as well as reviewing and contributing to product designs. This role will be pivotal to Opaque’s success, and you will have an opportunity for huge impact on both Opaque the company and the product.
Our product is inherently technical, so you should be able to proficiently communicate technical aspects of the product to the various stakeholders, be it developers or members of the C-suite.
As part of your role, you will:
- Foster a global open source community around Opaque; identify creative ways to drive participation
- Pursue opportunities for evangelizing our open source (e.g., social media, conferences, talks, developer events)
- Organize / attend developer-focused events, and engage with the community
- Create demos, tutorials, blogs and other technical content
- Monitor channels (Twitter, Slack, etc) and answer questions
- Driving crisp communication about Opaque's platform, both internally and externally
- Conveying feedback from developers and users to product and engineering teams
- Define metrics to track impact and efficacy of various advocacy activities
- Understand Opaque’s platform end-to-end and the data analytics / ML landscape
Relevant experience and skills
- Self-starter with ability to work independently within a distributed team
- Track record of being involved in fostering open source communities
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with data analytics and ML platforms
- Bachelor’s in computer science or equivalent
- 2+ years of relevant experience in a fast-paced company
- At least one of: significant experience fostering developer relations, significant open source building experience, or
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
Note that due to the ongoing situation, we will be working remotely until further notice.
We're excited to build a diverse team and encourage all to apply!