SF / Bay Area /
Opaque Systems is a data privacy startup born out of UC Berkeley. Our founding team comprises leading computer science professors and graduate students in security and systems, who also have extensive prior entrepreneurship experience (Databricks, PreVeil). The company raised a $9.5M Series Seed from Intel Capital, Race Capital, The House Fund, and FactoryHQ.
Our mission is to unlock the potential of confidential data that is currently locked down due to privacy concerns. To make confidential data useful without compromising on privacy, we’re building a next generation platform to drive secure analytics and machine learning directly on encrypted data. Our platform is powered by cutting-edge technology that builds upon years of published research and commercializes the MC² Project.
We’re looking for people who:
∙ Will help us set and maintain a high-performance and inclusive culture
∙ Share our passion for consumer and data privacy, and our vision for disrupting big data analytics with confidential computing
∙ Are self-starters — those with detail and quality-oriented approaches who want to make impact and who will help shape the company.
About the role
As an early and critical member of the Opaque team, you will help design and shape Opaque's core product. You will work closely with initial customers, users, and design partners to define Opaque’s product vision and build a long term strategy for the product. This role will be pivotal to Opaque’s success, and you will have an opportunity for huge impact on both Opaque the company and the product. The co-founders will work alongside with you to provide best support for success.
The ideal candidate will be a product leader who will efficiently drive the product development process by engaging with engineers as well as users. You should have a customer-oriented approach with an ability to understand the customer’s challenges, and you should be able to articulate a vision to solve these challenges to make an impact.
Our product is inherently technical, so you should be able to proficiently communicate technical aspects of the product to multiple audiences, be it developers, engineers, or members of the C-suite.
As part of your role, you will:
- Define product vision; build and ship Opaque products and features from the ground up
- Work closely with PoC customers and making them successful
- Formulate and execute product strategy for Opaque
- Identify and validate a go-to market strategy for Opaque
- Find opportunities for differentiating open source and closed source; identify challenges and come up with creative solutions that can make for a great community as well as a differentiated product
Relevant experience and skills:
- Self-starter with ability to work independently within a distributed team
- Experience with building features and products for enterprise customers
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Experience delivering features in one or more of the following: cloud environments, data analytics and ML platforms, privacy and security products
- Experience with regulatory compliance and best practices
- Startup experience; building a product from zero to one
- 5+ years of relevant product experience
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
Note that due to the ongoing situation, we will be working remotely until further notice.
We're excited to build a diverse team and encourage all to apply!