Software Engineer - Backend
SF / Bay Area /
Opaque Systems is a data privacy startup born out of UC Berkeley. Our founding team comprises leading computer science professors and graduate students in security and systems, who also have extensive prior entrepreneurship experience (Databricks, PreVeil). The company raised a $9.5M Series Seed from Intel Capital, Race Capital, The House Fund, and FactoryHQ.
Our mission is to unlock the potential of confidential data that is currently locked down due to privacy concerns. To make confidential data useful without compromising on privacy, we’re building a next generation platform to drive secure analytics and machine learning directly on encrypted data. Our platform is powered by cutting-edge technology that builds upon years of published research and commercializes the MC² Project.
We’re looking for people who:
∙ Will help us set and maintain a high-performance and inclusive culture
∙ Share our passion for consumer and data privacy, and our vision for disrupting big data analytics with confidential computing
∙ Are self-starters — those with detail and quality-oriented approaches who want to make impact and who will help shape the company.
As part of your role, you may
- Develop backend applications and web services using modern web technologies and tools, e.g. GraphQL, Go, and MongoDB
- Design a robust full stack architecture that will lay the foundation for future engineering
- Actively participate in customer POCs
- Communicate your work to a broader audience through talks, tutorials, and blog posts
- Work closely with product and marketing to refine and advertise what you've built
- Help us build and shape a world class company
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, or a related field
- Experience designing and building backend APIs, especially using GraphQL
- Experience with cloud technologies, e.g. Azure services such as Service Fabric, App Service, Key Vault, etc
- Experience with distributed systems and containerization, i.e. Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience programming with popular server-side tools and languages, e.g. Go / Node.js / Python
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
Note that due to the ongoing situation, we will be working remotely until further notice.
We're excited to build a diverse team and encourage all to apply!