Research Scientist, Reflection
San Francisco /
The OpenAI Reflection team fine-tunes large language models to be helpful and honest, so that increasingly intelligent models will robustly benefit humanity. Our research explores learning from human feedback and decomposing challenging tasks into simpler pieces that may be easier to supervise.
As a research scientist on the Reflection team, you should be able to:
- Identify and prioritize possible improvements to our ML training strategies; design and run experiments to test those improvements.
- Work with trained models and datasets to understand where we need to improve and what obstacles are most important for our research.
- Design new algorithms that can leverage a rich combination of human feedback, demonstrations, task decompositions, and auxiliary input.
- Quickly write and understand ML code.
- Analyze human data and prioritize tasks to maximize the impact of labelers’ time.
- Help brainstorm and prioritize problems for the team to work on to steer our research towards the long-term goal of training aligned AI.
This role may be a good fit for you if you:
- Want to push the frontiers of what language models can accomplish, leveraging OpenAI’s infrastructure to make it easy to work with massive models that would otherwise be inaccessible.
- Are excited to focus on improving training objectives and datasets; if you want to think about what our models are doing and why rather than how to improve architectures or optimizers.
- Are concerned about risks from misaligned artificial intelligence and want to use your career to help address them.
- Want to work with a flexible labeling workforce rather than being restricted to existing datasets.
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
- Parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- Lunch and dinner each day
- 401(k) plan