Total Compensation Manager
San Francisco /
People & Operations /
OpenAI is seeking to hire a Total Compensation Manager to join our mission to ensure that artificial general intelligence benefits all of humanity. This role will span our HR and Finance teams and will work with key senior leaders, such as the Director of HR and CFO, to oversee OpenAI’s unique compensation model. We are looking for an expert who is detail-oriented and ready to own critical payroll and equity processes—systems building, tracking, reporting, forecasting, accounting, tax, tenders—in partnership with the HR, Finance, and Legal teams. You will be a crucial point of contact for employee inquiries and will lead education around our equity incentive program.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing the company’s compensation administration, including running our regular payroll process and overseeing our unique equity incentive program to ensure accuracy, timeliness, transparency, and integrity in all compensation-related transactions.
- Acting as the primary communications liaison between HR and Finance, making sure that information transfer between teams is as systematic and frictionless as possible.
- Process, track and maintain accurate payroll and payroll-related documentation.
- Operationalizing and managing OpenAI’s payroll and equity plan management software.
- Collaborating with Finance and HR to analyze historical data, and forecast future trends, related to OpenAI’s total compensation package (i.e. salary, benefits, equity)
- Liaising with external advisors on equity transactions and making informed recommendations to OpenAI leadership
- Preparing reporting and reconciliation of equity compensation expense with GAAP in conjunction with OpenAI Accounting
- Working with the HR systems team to ensure compensation data integrity and ongoing accuracy throughout the employee lifecycle.
- Assisting in the administration of employee liquidity programs and tender offer events
- Helping to manage relevant audit, tax, and compliance requirements and workflows
- Overseeing year-end reporting, including preparation and dissemination of capital account statements and schedule K-1s
- Partnering with HR and Finance to develop employee equity guides and reference materials that clearly communicate the equity program framework and key information to participants
- Bachelor’s Degree, with 5+ years of experience as an in-house equity administrator
- Experience with major equity administration platforms, and ideally Carta
- Experience with major HRIS and payroll platforms, ideally Paylocity or Rippling
- Experience running and, ideally, owning payroll administration at a fast-growth tech company
- Familiarity with Limited Partnership or LLC structures
- Exceptionally strong analytical, modeling, and presentation skills
- Outstanding written and communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of US GAAP
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
- Parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- Lunch and dinner each day
- 401(k) plan